5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

detonation

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 12:51 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: detonation

you check it with water, a thermometer, and a DVOM
Old 07-05-2007, 01:00 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

DON'T TRY WATER !! if you don't know what your doing... improperly done it can hydroloc a motor use a substance that many parts stores sell that is burned through the cumbustion process. BG PRODUCTS MAKES a induction clean set up that is industrial strength that comes with the heavy duty induction cleaner and 44k for the intake fuel system works great!!
And engine doesn't hydrolock because water gets in it. It hydrolocks because liquid gets in there. It doesn't matter if the liquid is combustible or not. Liquid cannot be compressed like gasses can. If you get too much of any liquid in a cylinder then that can happen.

And I'm not sure if you realize this, but it's not uncommon to actually spray water directly into a running supercharged / turbocharged engine.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:23 PM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

ORIGINAL: mjr46

DON'T TRY WATER !! if you don't know what your doing... improperly done it can hydroloc a motor use a substance that many parts stores sell that is burned through the cumbustion process. BG PRODUCTS MAKES a induction clean set up that is industrial strength that comes with the heavy duty induction cleaner and 44k for the intake fuel system works great!!
And engine doesn't hydrolock because water gets in it. It hydrolocks because liquid gets in there. It doesn't matter if the liquid is combustible or not. Liquid cannot be compressed like gasses can. If you get too much of any liquid in a cylinder then that can happen.

And I'm not sure if you realize this, but it's not uncommon to actually spray water directly into a running supercharged / turbocharged engine.
yep. i saw an entire cylinder blow apart on an airplane rotary engine at school. the oil leaked past rings and filled up the lowest cylinder and i blew it apart. gas can actually liquid lock a cylinder too.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Oh for your information I may be a newb to the form but far from that in the industry buddy! I'm a L-1 mastertech, emission certified mastertech, State inspecter certified and bosch certified mastertech and I run a bosch service center I play with mustangs on the side and yes I'm quite aware of water injection and methonal injection and what it does to reduce detonation so you can run more boost but it's sprayed in through a light mist buddy!! not dumped in with a cup of wateron carbed cars like the old school technology of cleaning carbon off pistons and intakes. like I said to must start the induction cleaning ath the point of orgin not at the brake booster hose otherwise the mist won't be evenly dispersed your not spot cleaning so unless you have a constant mist spray good luck trying to dump a cup of water sideways through the throttle body which is wear a decarbonization needs to begin to evenly disperse watever cleaning agent you wish to use like water[:'(]
Old 07-05-2007, 01:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

sounds like an egr problem if you have 200,000 miles on the engine it's a good possibility that the ports in the intake a re plugged up with carbon if you have a scanner run a KOER test and when it runs the egr portion of the test it should make the engine run rough briefly if it doesn't the test will flag an egr problem then you can pull the valve or intake, start with the smallest piece of the puzzle if the ports are clogged then you know what you have to do to fix the problem. I've had to do this many times.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:58 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

MJR46... for future referance... I dont give a damn who you are, what you do, or whose **** you sucked to get there..

until you PROVE that you actually have a clue... keep your mouth shut
Old 07-05-2007, 02:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Like wise addermk2 I don't care how many posts you've made or how often your online that just means your a looser who has nothing better to do then sit in front of his computer and write thoughtless arrogant posts all day long. get a job!!! I don't have time anymore to participate in your soap opera here . this isn't "DAYS OF OR LIVES" Maybe yours not mine so long and I'm sure you'll reply to this post which only confirms the truth about you!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:23 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

your a newb to the forum, your a newb to stangs. don't go throwing your weight around until you start showing your capabilities. i know how to rebuild engines and install car parts and im good with paint. but i dont go around flashing my merit. i just try to help if i know the answer.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:30 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Ok instead of everyone trying to flex, why not keep the insults out of the thread and stick w/ the suggestions on helping the author of the thread like we should. No more unnecessary cometary will be needed.

Thnaks!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:40 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Thanks pro50sc!!! well said where are you located in maryland?????

Quick Reply: detonation