5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Is my car driveable if my roller rockers are tapping my valve covers while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:44 AM
94RedDevil
2nd Gear Member

Default Is my car driveable if my roller rockers are tapping my valve covers while driving

This morning i pop open my hood, start up the car. I heard a clicking noise and i touched the valve cover and i could feel where the roller rockers were making a small tap on the cover. Can i drive it around? I really wanna get this break in over with.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:55 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is my car driveable if my roller rockers are tapping my valve covers while driving

ummmm NO. Fix it then go drive it
Old 07-07-2007, 10:58 AM
94RedDevil
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Is my car driveable if my roller rockers are tapping my valve covers while driving

so thats a definate no then? dude i wanna drive it!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:12 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

I would not drive it if I was you. Everytime it hits the cover it knock of little pieces of metal. Where does it go? In the oil and straight to the oil pan. It will wipe out a crank, rods, or bearings in no time. Get you some of the thick gaskets or taller valve covers. I would be willing to bet its just hitting the baffles in the cover. I would not advise taken the out either do to the fact it keeps oil from getting sucked into the intake through the hose running from the v/c to intake. To get the proper clearance you may need to install an intake spacer to clear the v/c and intake contact. It depends on the setup you have.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:15 AM
richs347
1st Gear Member

Well, depending on which side of the rocker is hitting will determine the amount of damage. Expect the pushrod to be bent when you finally pull it apart. Go buy some kids Playdough and stick it between the rockers and valve cover. Install the valve cover as younormally would and pull it back apart (keep the old gasket). This will help show where you need to clearance areas under the valve cover.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:52 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

if its running but just tapping, go buy 2 pairs of cork gaskets, use the hardening permatex to bond the pair of gaskets together (to stack them) and reinstall. you should be good to go
Old 07-07-2007, 11:55 AM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

don't need the 2 gaskets...they now make an extra thick V/C gaskets for a leak free install...get with the program skippy
Old 07-07-2007, 12:00 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

which the local autoparts store probably doesnt stock, and hes jonesing to drive his car right now to the point of contemplating driving with tapping covers.

see where im going with this?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:01 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

no!

Old 07-07-2007, 12:09 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

the thicker gasket is on this page @ a local parts store
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...e+Cover+Gasket

Quick Reply: Is my car driveable if my roller rockers are tapping my valve covers while driving