5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HCI 99% Complete - Help with last line! *NEED HELP!*UPDATED**

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:03 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default HCI 99% Complete - Help with last line! *NEED HELP!*UPDATED**

Okay... I go to start the car after HCI and it won't start... I try again and the car just made the loudest popping noise pretty much making me go deaph and woke up my neighbors! Could this have been an extremely loud backfire? Also I didn't put oil in the lifter valley (i forgot)... I did put oil in the car and coolant... i've done everything but this last line to hook up...

Anyways I hope I didn't just break the car but I found one line is undone from the upper intake manifold, please tell me where it goes... I can't find it...

Heres the picture, I put a red arrow pointing to the line... i'm ****ing pissed...
Old 07-11-2007, 08:11 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: HCI 99% Complete - Help with last line! *PLZ HELP!*

It's not related to the line you're pointing to, but are you sure your distributor isn't 180 degrees out? Popping / backfiring is a very common symptom of that.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:14 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

It's not related to the line you're pointing to, but are you sure your distributor isn't 180 degrees out? Popping / backfiring is a very common symptom of that.
sam, when the cap is off, i had the crank set to 0 degree timing then I put the dizzy in and put the pointer toward spark plug #1. I'm not sure what you mean by 180 degrees out.

also where do you know where that line goes?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:37 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

what he means is your engine is on the wrong part of its rotation. there is two up stroke, compression and exhaust.....do you know which one your are on?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I don't... so say i'm on the wrong one now... which I 90% most likely am now that it backfired... I can't get to the crank bolt now with everything back together.... BUT are you saying turn the distributer so that it points 180 degrees the opposite direction?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:44 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

I don't... so say i'm on the wrong one now... which I 90% most likely am now that it backfired... I can't get to the crank bolt now with everything back together.... BUT are you saying turn the distributer so that it points 180 degrees the opposite direction?
I was 180 out when I first finished my HCI; the car wouldn't even start. What I did was take the #1 spark plug out, had my uncle hold his finger over the plug hole until he felt a poof of air come out, then I checked the rotor. It was 180* in the wrong direction, so I flippe it over, cranked it and it fired right up. I timing light will read correctly if you're 180 out, so be aware of that.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:44 AM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

i think he means that you set the timing to the intake stroke instead of the power stroke. when you install the dizzy you have to set it to the 1st cyl when the 1st spark plug is supposed to go off, not when the valves are open.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:46 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

no. you need to manually crank the motor over the #1 cylinder is on compression stroke TDC. then you need to re-stab your dizzy so its in the correct position. if you still have trouble use this as a referance. https://mustangforums.com/m_3264510/tm.htm
Old 07-11-2007, 08:48 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Also, that loose hose is your PCV hose, should have the valve in the end of it. Goes in the back of your lower intake.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VigCS

Also, that loose hose is your PCV hose, should have the valve in the end of it. Goes in the back of your lower intake.
THANKS! I'll try that...

Yeah I kept trying to start the car bcz I was like wtf and i've honestly never heard any car backfire as loud as my car did. My neighbors come outside thinking a bomb blew up their house...

So.. NOW... HOW am I going to spin the crank.... VIG what did you do, I don't want to remove the fan/ shroud/radiator...

Quick Reply: HCI 99% Complete - Help with last line! *NEED HELP!*UPDATED**