5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Whats the cause of the smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:49 AM
joshua029
2nd Gear Member

Default Whats the cause of the smoke?

Here's my story:

I put in a 160 degree thermostat into my mustang (95 302). The next dayi was going to work and it overheated, bad! I stopped to look at it and everything looked fine, i could even see the coolant in the container so it wasn't low/out but it was smoking from the engine.

After work (12 hrs) i started it up and it started fine and was cool. I checked the fluids again and it all checked out great. So i drove it home (13 miles with few stop signs/lights) and it over heated to the red line so i left it at a church parking lot a couple miles from home.

I thought the thermostat that i had put in was bad so i got a new one and gasket and replaced 'em again. But now when i start the car the it still over heats when left on for a while. But now, after about 10 minutes i get smoke coming from the oils dipstick / filling hole and when i press the gas smoke shoots out the exhaust.

Engine has 175,000 miles on it and previous owner of 6 years didn't take care of it at all... (info just in case)
Old 07-17-2007, 07:07 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Whats the cause of the smoke?

depends on how much white smoke if it's really white it may have a blown head gasket if it's been overheated really bad. if water pump is okay and radiator isn't clogged then it's likely it now has a blown head gasket check the oil color on the dip stick and make sure it's not milky white that would indicate coolant in the oil and possibly a crack in heads block or blown intake gasket. one more thing check to see if you have heat to make sure that when you replaced the t-stat you properly bled cooling system
Old 07-17-2007, 09:05 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

It could very well be a blown head gasket, but it's hard to tell without getting more info. Check your compression on each cylinder. It'a a fairly easy test and you can usually borrow a compression tester from someone. Or at the very least, do a cylinder balance test for free.

As far as smoke coming out of the dipstick tube, that's usualyl caused by blowby. Check your PCV valve and see if it's clogged. You may have to replace it with a new one, but those are dirt cheap at any parts store. While you're replacing it, be sure to check the screen under it (sitting in the rear of the lower intake.) Chances are it's clogged.

Clean that screen and replace the PCV valve and that should take care of your blowby issues (assuming youre naturally aspirated.)
Old 07-17-2007, 09:37 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Jus tto add, if you can't get a compression checker and you do decide to do a cylinder balance test instead, you can do it at home for free. You don't have to go to a shop to do that or to pull any codes. So if you have or had a CEL at any time recently you can check those codes at the same time.

Just use the MacGyver Multitool. My GF bought me one a few years ago and I've used it for a ton of things ever since. I check Mustang CEL codes, I get stuck CDs out of my computer, I hold important papers together.. the list is endless!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:20 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

why do you have a 160 thermostat in a 94 mustang?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:57 PM
joshua029
2nd Gear Member

haha, macgyver multitool.

i decided to put the 160 thermostat into my 95 gt when i noticed that whenever i would turn it off the heat from the engine was way warmer than the other cars i own. thought that would solve the problem but not im not sure if it was done anything. would the thermostat have caused any of this?

Old 07-17-2007, 05:14 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Don't compare it to how other cars feel. Unless the temp gauge is through the roof, you'll probably be fine. I still run the stock thermostat with all my mods and my ECT is just fine.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:43 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Jus tto add, if you can't get a compression checker and you do decide to do a cylinder balance test instead, you can do it at home for free. You don't have to go to a shop to do that or to pull any codes. So if you have or had a CEL at any time recently you can check those codes at the same time.

Just use the MacGyver Multitool. My GF bought me one a few years ago and I've used it for a ton of things ever since. I check Mustang CEL codes, I get stuck CDs out of my computer, I hold important papers together.. the list is endless!

how do you do that???
Old 07-17-2007, 05:50 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

http://myshifter.com/joel50/EECTEST.html
Old 07-17-2007, 05:52 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Just use the MacGyver Multitool as a jumper wire and count the flashes of the Check Engine Light. The exact method is described in the link above.

Quick Reply: Whats the cause of the smoke?