5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

sn95 semi daily driver question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 02:44 PM
sn95aod

Default sn95 semi daily driver question

Recently i bought an sn95 gt convertible aod, my girlfriend really wanted a convertible, so we found this car on ebay with 23,000 miles on it for $6,000. Apparently it sat for a long time, so first off i changed the plugs and put some accell 8.8mm wires on it an msd dist cap and rotor, changed the oil, fuel filter, and transmission fluid, and bumped the timing to 14. First question, i hope im not long winded, it wants to hesitate when youput it in gear, almost like it is going to die but then it runs just fine, what could that be? Also i want it to atleast have as much pep as my 2006 gt had, because i want it to be fun to drive, but also need it to be good for trips to the beach and such since that is what my girlfriend wants to do with it. This is what i was thinking i could do.

Cobra upper and lower intake
exhaust system that sounds good flows good but is not obnoxious for the girlfriend any ideas there???
some sort of cai
maf and tb
as far as gears, everyone says to put 4.10s on an aod but how is that going to be on trips?
probably keep stock cam
heads and fuel injectors? the stock ones will probably not be good enough for the mods so far right? that is my biggest question.
if not, i will probably go with some used y303's i found.

i know this covers a lot of stuff, and im sorry to ask all this, but i have no one to ask around here and everyone at the speed shops are asses because you don't know as much as they do. like i said though, is any of that possible to keep on the stock heads and injectors to make it feel like my 2006gt 5spd? im glad thats over, my fingers are cramping. My name is brad and i am new hear, so it is nice to meet everyone!!
Old 07-21-2007, 03:18 PM
SoDakStang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: sn95 semi daily driver question

300 hp/320 torque vs 215 hp/285 torque. The weight should be about similar. Basically you need more horse. You are considering new heads and up. That will give you the ponies you are looking for. As far as gearing goes, 4.10 would probably be a bit steep considering you want to drive this everywhere. I would probably shoot a little lower on the gears. Bassini makes are nice system that isn't really loud. Put a decent set of headers on. BBk, makes a nice cai, match the mass air to the TB you put on (size). I would probably do a different cam. Stock cobras had 24# injectors so probably shoot for that. Good luck
Old 07-21-2007, 07:13 PM
red95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

Me and wifes car is similar to yours and here is what we have done so far. Installed 3.73 gears, woke up the car from the pathetic factory 2.73's and aren't bad at all on the highway. For mufflers we are running MAC flowpaths and they sound great with the stock H-pipe. I will be installinga Cobra intake next week and will post results.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:55 AM
850SN95
2nd Gear Member

alot of sn95'ers on here
im gonna try 4.10's with my AOD already have an CAI, and is it me or does a CAI perform better at night when the air isnt as hot?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:52 AM
sn95aod

you have to keep me posted on that cobra intake, i am assuming you are talking about on stalk headers right? as far as the 3.73's is it still as driveable as the 2.73's just feels like a lot more power? everyone around here says 4.10's or nothing on an aod, but i am like you guys, if i take it on a trip how bad is that going to suck, you know. I was kind of wondering how much flow difference there is from the e7 heads and the 95 cobra heads as far as flow, anyone know? i found a cobra intake for $200 and was wondering if it would do much good on stock heads. Also, i got my egr delete in last night, i took a piese of aluminum flashing and cut it out the same size as the gasket between the egr valveand the intake except for the holes to let exhaust through, then i put it behind the gasket and bolted the egr valve back on and then plugged in my delete i bought off of ebay, only thing is, the light still comes on.it took a minute, but i was driving down the road and when it got warm, boom there the light was. what the heck is that about? a bum egr delete? everyone that has bought one from this guy says it works. any suggestions??
Old 07-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Im runnin 4.10s, but i have a 5spd, but i still love em. I get around 18 mpg city and on long trips i get 22-23mpg. For an auto id def. get 4.10s.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:39 AM
850SN95
2nd Gear Member

whats an EGR?
and what does the egr delete do?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:54 AM
sn95aod

egr stands for exhaust gas recirculation, it is right behind the throttle body and there is a copper hose running from the header to the egr valve and then into the intak manifold. It is a pollution measure that is stupid. It puts exhaust back into your intake so you can burn the pullutants out of it again. What it really does is put hot air and carbon deposits into your intake and pollutes your cold air when it comes in. Anyway, some one else might know more about it. it is pretty straight forward to delete it.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:53 PM
sn95aod

oh yeah and the egr delete looks like an xlr plugin from the end of a mic cable. it tells the computer that the egr is not disconnected. they just put some resistors inthe plug in that loops back the signal to the computer. I believe, i am sure some else here knows a lot more than me, i am a newb. I have just been reading up on the internet.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:56 PM
sn95aod

by the way SoDakStang, i love that snl episode in your profile pic, "it needs more cow bell" that is too funny wasnt that a blue oyster cult rip?

Quick Reply: sn95 semi daily driver question