5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Best top end kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:58 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: Best top end kit

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

ORIGINAL: Ahnial8u

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

ORIGINAL: Ahnial8u

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

ORIGINAL: fasfwd

u might think i crazy. but the best doller for doller thing to do is port the hell outta your stock e7's and upper and lower intake man. and mill your heads thirty thousandths, and stick an old letter cam like a B or E. everyone says motorsport cams are junk, but trust me there not. if u dont wanna go that route, and u wanna spend a butt load, get an edelbrock kit....they have the best heads IMO.
that sounds ludicrous. are you trying for a 5.slow?
I've seen some E-7 Thumper heads that flow almost as much as some entry level Aluminum heads. Just because you don't pay $1,000 dollars for a set of heads don't mean it doesn't work. Everything has to worktogether.The stock intake can be cut Honed and welded back up for some impressive performance. But think about all the time and money that was put into the stock pieces to get to this point.
Another Friend just bought A 95 Cobra and threw a F cam in it and he's running 13.50 at 101, this was also his very first time to the track also.
entry level is right. you have to do allllllllll this work to make this little POS head work almost the same as your entry level aluminum head. people could quit being cheap, fork up for a good set of heads and be there already andhave room to grow later.

i also have a friend that has a cobra that runs 11's. good for your friend but what does that have to do with ported e7's?
Nothing at all. I was talking about the Cam, and the fact that it has GT-40 P heads on it.( IRON)
Not everybody has the $$$$ to spend so they try to make the best out of what they can with their Budget.
The E-7 head is the weakest link in the 5.0 engine, But with some work it can and will make power.it is how well your combo is put together.
cobras have GT-40s not p.

everyone knows this hobby is not cheap. so why cheap out when your buying one of the most important components the heads? and then the cam? the cam is the brain of the motor......

also whats the expression you can't polish a turd
agreed again. i use to want to be on thecheap. after seeing all the horror/ disappointing stories of re working crappy parts. newer is just better. get the better parts that way you have room to grow. i will admit there are soem impressive "bottom draw" builds i've seen but mostly they go horrible wrong or not the way people plan.

i vote go newer parts or quality parts