5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

the motor is in, now I have trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:46 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: the motor is in, now I have trouble

ORIGINAL: tmajikman

I just hope nothing is binding if he uses the starter, he could bend something or break something possible.
nope it will just click, its not that strong to do that
Old 07-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

my money is on the torque converter not being seated properly in the trans, which has now cause a bind since you have bolted the motor and tranny together.

5 virtual dollars that i dont have say this is the problem
crap.... when I redid the front seal on the trans (was a good idea to 77 my old one looked a lil worn, even though it didnt leak) I pushed the converter back in as far as it would go, I even spinned it and it was back as far as it would allow....

I dont know if I should attach the starter and give it a crank, I'm a bit afraid too.... I used the cheater bar, nothing has worked.... cant drive it to the shop, cuz It would prolly destroy the engine and trans, and it lacks a carb, exhaust and registration, and cant push it cuz the front brakes are locking up.... I cant roll it at all[:@] when I had the 3.8 running for the last time I broke them free, but that was almost 2 months ago
Old 07-28-2007, 03:50 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Cool, I was always told to turn the motor over by hand so you limit any damage. That is good to know, should make life easier for projects down the road.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:51 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelty

ORIGINAL: my77stang

my money is on the torque converter not being seated properly in the trans, which has now cause a bind since you have bolted the motor and tranny together.

5 virtual dollars that i dont have say this is the problem
crap.... when I redid the front seal on the trans (was a good idea to 77 my old one looked a lil worn, even though it didnt leak) I pushed the converter back in as far as it would go, I even spinned it and it was back as far as it would allow....

I dont know if I should attach the starter and give it a crank, I'm a bit afraid too.... I used the cheater bar, nothing has worked.... cant drive it to the shop, cuz It would prolly destroy the engine and trans, and it lacks a carb, exhaust and registration, and cant push it cuz the front brakes are locking up.... I cant roll it at all[:@] when I had the 3.8 running for the last time I broke them free, but that was almost 2 months ago
what are you afraid of, there is nothing to hurt?[&:]
Old 07-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

how hard is it to drop a transmission? the car wont be rolling anytime soon, I go back to school in 16 days.... and I still lack alot of parts...and money

Old 07-28-2007, 04:00 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelty

how hard is it to drop a transmission? the car wont be rolling anytime soon, I go back to school in 16 days.... and I still lack alot of parts...and money

it goes in one way, it bolts on one way. you shouldnt have any problems,??

just take out all the spark plugs and the motor will turn, i tried to hold that back for a min
Old 07-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

I do have half the plugs out right now... I didnt get a chance to mark all the wires so I can put it back together.... should I try using the penetrating lube stuff, you know, shoot a bit down the cylinders, or will that kill the rings? should I just use regular motor oil?

I'm going back out in about 15 minutes to put the hood back on, tighten down the Motormounts and start putting the headers back on....
Old 07-28-2007, 04:18 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Is your transmission in gear and the parking brake on or the car sitting on the ground?
Old 07-28-2007, 04:21 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

unbolt the tranny the same way you put it on if you still can't get the motor to turn over. it is not too hard of a job.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:36 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

My money is on the tranny being a little out of alignment! Loosen the bell bolts most of the way and yank the tranny back a little. Then see if it turns over with the bar. Your converter may not be fuly seated into the pump shaft or the bolts may not all be aligned with the flexplate holes. Don't go putting the starter on cause you will just have to take it back off to fix your problem!

Quick Reply: the motor is in, now I have trouble