5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

The "Fitty" is in recovery!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 07:01 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Default The "Fitty" is in recovery!!!

I yanked out all the gizzards and giblets this morning...

I'm getting all the stuff from Summit tommarow. I went with the K.C. even though some say they don't last. Pilot and flywheel are also going to be FRPP. (Also got the dowel kit). One dowel was broken, the clutch, fw, and pp are pretty hosed. The throwout seems like its shot.Pilot looks good, but it says made in China on it.

I have to clean everything up.

On the third picture, youcan see the fork showing wear, should I get a new one while everything is out? (the wear spots are slightly sunk in)

Also the rear main is going to get replaced.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:31 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

Default RE: The "Fitty" is having surgury

Good luck with everything.. That is one clean fox.. Very nice and i was justcurious how does it sound with the borlas.. I havent heard one on these cars..
Old 07-29-2007, 07:33 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Looks good. Since it's so fresh in your mind, come to my house and do mine. Needs basically the same treatment.[:'(]
Old 07-29-2007, 08:06 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

Hey now I just ripped out a tranny today on my parts car! It's really easy I had the tranny out in a half hr!! Then again, I have a lift might as well buy a new clutch fork just to save the hastle if it decides to break after you put it all back together! DON'T FORGET to grease everything up and to line up the clutch disc!! While your in it this far, did you get a adj. clutch cable?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:34 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

89mustanggt50- borlas sound alright... They have a very deep tone with some good growl, no drone at all in 5th, but some good deep drone in the rest of the gears. These are the ProXS2.25 mufflers with dynomax mandrell stock tubing (both mid and tailpipes). Previous to these I was running the Borlas that were specifically designed for the car that were 2.50 and I had 2.50 mid pipes ad the factory tailpipes with adapters. They had a different tone and were much quieter. Even though both sets were an offset/offset, with the direct replacement ones, you could not see through them, but with the ProXS you can see through somewhat. I like them, but I wouldn't swear by them.

Pro- I would, but right now I have no feeling in either hand, and I'm completely sore!!!

ACE- I'll be sure to grease it up good, and I'll get the fork, but right now I'm still going to use the factory cable with the plastic quadrant . The cable feels nice and smooth.

Also, that ar impact wrench you see on the ground was the $20 Wal Mart special and is completely worthless. It won't take a loose bolt out. I got it this morning but it is junk. (What do you expect for $20 at WM thats made in China). I did everything by hand.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:31 AM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

Ok cool.. Good luck and love that car..
Old 07-31-2007, 01:01 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Well, I got the stuff from Summit. All the stuff is cool, the King Cobra left me dissapointed as it is Made in Korea... The flywheel has the same part number as the factory.

I also wanted to replace the 5th gear synchro... (I don't know jack about transmissions [:@]) The dealer had the brass ring for it, so I picked it up, the one in there looked discolored, so maybe that was my problem.

Anyhow, the manual says "slide out the fifth gear and synchro assembly off the shaft" if it were only that easy. After struggling for a while I popped the synchro of and out came the spring clips, the three tabs, and the inner gear. It took a while for me to figure out how the dang thing went back together, the book says to scribe where everything came out of so everything lines up the way its supposed to. Oh well, I just put the thing where it fits.

Anyway, the 5th/rev rod got yanked out, spring popped out etc, so I had to split the top to get in there and try to figure out how everything went back in... IT WAS A NIGHTMARE!!!.. After several attempts and more crap falling out, I got the rod back where it was supposed to be, I put the cover back on and now the shift forks wouldn't budge. The first gear synchro overshot one of its landings and all 3 synchro tabs were ready to pop out. Had to line up the ring and get them under the slider and was able to push the asembly back. I got the top cover back on, I'll do the back tomarow.

So far 5 hours to rip all the crap out (no cus words), and 5 hours to get the dam synchro ring on (every word in the book) which may not solve my prolem. I'll be happy if that trans ever works again.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:45 AM
shibby_cbs
2nd Gear Member

gotta love transmissions...ill shoot myself before i put myself through that nightmare
Old 07-31-2007, 09:09 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

looks like someone needs a new rear main seal...
Old 07-31-2007, 11:50 AM
ACE
4th Gear Member

I agree with Adder! change the rear main seal while you have it all apart on the floor and easy to get to!

Quick Reply: The "Fitty" is in recovery!!!