5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

wheel hop and performance upgrades ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 AM
my92

Default wheel hop and performance upgrades ?

hello everyone, i just drove home a mustang last night i have'nt had one of these since i was 19. i'm 30 now and wow these cars are still just as fun to me now as they were 11years ago. i have a couple questions if anyone can help me out. it's a 92gt notchie, it's has header, cam, and flow master exhaust. othere then that i dont know what els was done to it. it idles kinda ruff and the guy told me it needed an o2 sensor. where is the o2 sensor on this car? i'm use to them being on the exhaust mainfolds and ..... headers so i dont know lol no i'm not a gear head. just know enough to take it in when i break it after trying to fix it also it wheel hops REALLY bad. it's a 5speed manual with a cobra clutch and b&m short throw shifter.... not even sure what that means but thats what he told me. any idea's on how to stop the wheel hop? thanks

brian
Old 08-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Checkk
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: wheel hop and performance upgrades ?

The O2 Sensors should be on the exhaust by the headers(in the header collecter).

I know you could put in a 5 link and adjust it. Or you could put a few hundred extra pounds under the hood.

I wish my car had wheel hop...
Old 08-01-2007, 09:55 AM
my92

thanks for the info. not sure what a 5 link is thoa. i assume a kit for the suspension. yes i'm that bad when it comes to mechanical.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Checkk
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure what it is exactly, so I can't give you that information. I just saw them use one on a Fox Mustang on Muscle Car on SpikeTV a while ago.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:02 AM
my92

ok thank you.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

get under the back of the car and make sure the quad shocks arent broken. If they are, its time for a new set of lower control arms
Old 08-01-2007, 10:39 AM
my92

ok thanks, i know my 87 notchie 5.0 never did it. this 92 is pretty much the same set up...... anyway thanks

b.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:17 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: Checkk

The O2 Sensors should be on the exhaust by the headers(in the header collecter).

I know you could put in a 5 link and adjust it. Or you could put a few hundred extra pounds under the hood.

wow..... that all i can say to this comment.

for wheel hop, like adder said, get a good set of upper and lower control arms from UPR for 200 bucks....problem solved.(should be at least)

02 sensors are about.....6 inches down the H pipe from where it connects to the headers. its on the downpipe itself just before it goes under the car. you'll see them stickin out of the exhaust pipe.

and the horse power tv episode they did the mustang suspension. i'm pretty sure it was adjustable 4 link suspension which isnt really needed considering the mustang geometry is already pretty dead on for traction. if your goin full race then it would be worth your time. street strip use.....way to much time and money spent doing 4 link.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:49 AM
my92

great info thank you. any advice on future upgrades to this drivetrain? anyboby suggest a good (in the middle budget) set of heads?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:05 PM
92civy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Checkk

lmao,

i am pretty sure you dont know what this guy means when he says wheel hop. whell hop isnt the front tires coming off the ground (what you think), its when the rear tire hop up and down when lauching (lots of vibration). and to help this get Control arms upper and lowers, and check those quads, if you get upper and loer control arms get rid of the quads. and dont add weight "under the hood", lmao.

Quick Reply: wheel hop and performance upgrades ?