5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

idle?????????????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 PM
93stangz
1st Gear Member

Default RE: idle?????????????????????????????

thanx, i'll try it
Old 08-01-2007, 08:18 PM
5.0rick

Hi 93Stangz,

I am assuming you are running the stock 19# injectors and stock MAF?

Before you get started,be sure that your base timing is set to 10 BTDC with the spout disconnected and your fuel pressure is set to 47 psi with the vacuum disconnected. I am running the stock fuel pressure regulator and that is what mine is set to according to my autometer mechanical gauge.

I see from your signature that you are running a 70mm TB and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Your problem may reside there.
In order to set the idle follow this procedure.

1. start the car and run it until it is at normal operating temp.
2. disconnect the AIC (air idle control valve) on the TB. If the engine dies, increase the throttle opening by turning the idle stop screw on the TB clockwise (tighten it).
3. Once the car is running around 700-800 rpm with the AIC disconnected, pull the spout off the distributor. The RPMs will probably drop a bit. Now, set your idle where you want it.You may want to raise it a bit for the cam that you are running. I would not go over 800 RPM.I have a T-5 with the stock cam, (and a big nasty turbo (T-76)not to mention 42# injectors)car so mine is set to 700 rpm. This is going to be your mechanical idle. The computer will not have control of the idle at this point. If you cannot get the car to idle with the AIC and spout disconnected, then you have some other problem.
4. Now that your car is idling, you will need to drillout the holes on the TPS (throttle position sensor) until you can set the idle voltage to .60v. That's right, not .980V like everyone has been telling you. The .6v is the stock setting you can find this info in the following book. http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Injection.../dp/0837603013
5. Turn the engine off and reconnect the AIC, the spout, and with the TPS idle voltage at .6v, the car should idle as close to stock as possible.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Rick
Old 08-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0rick

Hi 93Stangz,

Before you get started,be sure that your base timing is set to 10 BTDC with the spout disconnected and your fuel pressure is set to 47 psi with the vacuum disconnected. I am running the stock fuel pressure regulator and that is what mine is set to according to my autometer mechanical gauge.

I see from your signature that you are running a 70mm TB and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Your problem may reside there.

2. disconnect the AIC (air idle control valve) on the TB. If the engine dies, increase the throttle opening by turning the idle stop screw on the TB clockwise (tighten it).
3. Once the car is running around 700-800 rpm with the AIC disconnected, pull the spout off the distributor. The RPMs will probably drop a bit. Now, set your idle where you want it.You may want to raise it a bit for the cam that you are running. I would not go over 800 RPM.I have a T-5 with the stock cam, (and a big nasty turbo (T-76)not to mention 42# injectors)car so mine is set to 700 rpm. This is going to be your mechanical idle. The computer will not have control of the idle at this point. If you cannot get the car to idle with the AIC and spout disconnected, then you have some other problem.
4. Now that your car is idling, you will need to drillout the holes on the TPS (throttle position sensor) until you can set the idle voltage to .60v. That's right, not .980V like everyone has been telling you. The .6v is the stock setting you can find this info in the following book. http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Injection.../dp/0837603013
5. Turn the engine off and reconnect the AIC, the spout, and with the TPS idle voltage at .6v, the car should idle as close to stock as possible.

Regards,

Rick
Who to believe who to believe... This kind of stuff drives me nuts. WHO KNOWS WHAT TO DO???????
Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

0.6v on the TPS is almost impossible. right out of the part box, they run 0.9v
this guy sounds like a straight up Ford dealer tech, and isn't thinking in terms of a performance setting, which is the reasoning behind the 0.96 setting.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Texas5.0

ORIGINAL: 5.0rick

Hi 93Stangz,

Regards,

Rick
Who to believe who to believe... This kind of stuff drives me nuts. WHO KNOWS WHAT TO DO???????
Would you believe..........Ford?......the guys that designed the logic/software those EEC-IV computers run?.....and the tech manuals containing the information Ford supplied?......

Old 08-02-2007, 12:30 AM
5.0rick

ORIGINAL: mattdel

this guy sounds like a straight up Ford dealer tech, and isn't thinking in terms of a performance setting, which is the reasoning behind the 0.96 setting.

Are you telling me that you have a high performance idle?[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

There is absolutely no proof that setting the idle voltage higher than .6v is of any benefit. The procedure I outlined worked great on my 89 and that is why I am sharing this info. Has anyone checked the idle voltage on a stock TB? I bet it is much closer to .6v than it is to .9v.

Rick
Old 08-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

If the TPS is at .6 vdc, the system id's .6 as 0 position......part-thottle = .604 and WOT = 3.31
If the TPS is at .7 vdc the system id's .7 as 0 position......part-thottle = .704 and WOT = 3.41
If the TPS is at .8 vdc, the system id's .8 as 0 position......part-thottle = .804 and WOT = 3.61
If the TPS is at .9999 vdc, the system id's .9999 as 0 position......part-thottle = 1.0399 and WOT = 3.7099
If the TPS is at 1.04 vdc, the system id's 1.04 as 0 position......part-thottle = 1.08 and WOT = 3.75.

Anything between .5 - 1.1 vdc does work (optimum would be .8 - 1.0 vdc)......the system uses a computer to compensate for any voltage/temp variance....you do not need to do an adjustment the computer filters and resets automatically.....no specific value will do anything performance wise as long as it's between the "no TPS failure" window = .5 - 1.19 vdc.

Or check http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/Mustang-TPS-FAQ.html and http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...49-post70.html

Old 08-02-2007, 03:32 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93stangz

go away i need someone that knows what there talking about
Just an FYI...Joel5.0 Knows what he is talking about...he really helped me out with an idle issue a few months back.....

I had my MAP sensor hooked to vacuum-No No....

Thanks again Joel5.0
Old 08-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

The crazy thing is I can find articles on the net that say all kinds of things, it's sorting through all the crap to figure out what is real is the problem. Joel5.0 is a smart car dude, no doubt... 5.0rick may also be. It's just frustrating for a car tard like me to ask a question and get so many different answers.