5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

something on my exhaust broke and i dont know what it is help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 01:16 PM
loud94gt

Default something on my exhaust broke and i dont know what it is help please

i was changing my h pipe for inspection and when i lifted it up and went to put it down this insert of some kind fell out and the ring around it broke i want to know what this is so i can get a new one i know that its helps seal the pipes together. one side is flared but this had a lip on it thanks.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:22 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

Default RE: something on my exhaust broke and i dont know what it is help please

should be an exhaust gasket. if you buy a FelPro header gasket it comes with all the exhaust gaskets
Old 08-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: something on my exhaust broke and i dont know what it is help please

ORIGINAL: loud94gt

i was changing my h pipe for inspection and when i lifted it up and went to put it down this insert of some kind fell out and the ring around it broke i want to know what this is so i can get a new one i know that its helps seal the pipes together. one side is flared but this had a lip on it thanks.
Does it go between the header and H-Pipe? If it does, it's an exhaust flange gasket/donut.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:33 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Sounds like he spun an H-pipe bearing to me. That is NOT a good thing.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:47 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

what the hell is an h-pipe bearing
Old 08-13-2007, 01:58 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Basically if the h-pipe bearing is bad the whole h-pipe must be replaced. Damn that sucks.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:17 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

Basically if the h-pipe bearing is bad the whole h-pipe must be replaced. Damn that sucks.
Not necessarily. If he just broke the seal and spun the bearing, then it's probably just out of alignment and can be recalibrated / reinserted with a little sealant to hold the seal again. But you're right in his case. It sounds like it flat out broke in half. That absolutely sucks and it's a pain in the ***. I swear they make those bearings fragile on purpose so you have to waste money replacing the whole midpipe isntead. ******.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:29 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 08-13-2007, 02:32 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

We dont need to jump the gun. There is a small possibility that the usedbearing can be recalibrated and re-used. But in my experience with this problem it is best to expect the worse and hope for the best, that way he wont be dissapointed if he has to buy another whole assy. You know some people think that h-pipes are well, just pipes, but if you get a grinder and open one up you will be suprisedwith the engineering and sophistication that is involved in manufactering these complicated "h-pipes". Hell, why do you think they cost several hundred dollars. Any way man, just see if you can repair it first and if it still doesn't work, just try and save up some money.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You guys are terrible

Quick Reply: something on my exhaust broke and i dont know what it is help please