5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Difficult to turn with new berings and rings.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM
MrMiracle
2nd Gear Member

Default Difficult to turn with new berings and rings.

Well, I've put the rotating assembly in and have torqued all but two of the rods to spec (19 to 24). The problem now is that the assembly is unbelievably difficult to turn. I can't get it into position to torque the two remaining rods. New rings and bearings across the board, is it supposed to be that difficult? The crank bearings are fine, the thing spun smoothly without the rods. Its only just after torquing the last six rods that the assembly is difficult to turn.

Both directions are equally difficult. Is there a tool or something I could get that would help with this?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:30 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Difficult to turn with new berings and rings.

Are you using a breaker bar or a wrench or something with the balancer bolt on the crank snout, or trying to turn it with your bare hands?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:42 PM
MrMiracle
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

Are you using a breaker bar or a wrench or something with the balancer bolt on the crank snout, or trying to turn it with your bare hands?
I tried the first (with a washer), with little effect. Not even bothering to try it by hand. It could just be that I'm being a little too easy on it.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:45 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

sounds to me like there is a binding issue with your rotating assembly. Start pulling it back apart and I gaurantee you will find it. Remember, Do the mains first, Start at the center and work your way to the outside (the last caps you should put on should be your front and rear) spin it each time you put something on.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:48 PM
MrMiracle
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ahittz24

sounds to me like there is a binding issue with your rotating assembly. Start pulling it back apart and I gaurantee you will find it. Remember, Do the mains first, Start at the center and work your way to the outside (the last caps you should put on should be your front and rear) spin it each time you put something on.
Well, the crank spun just fine before I put the pistons in. Quite smooth. And the rest of the assembly would spin (with some encouragement) before the rods were fully torqued down.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:57 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Are you sure that your pistons are it the correct order? Did you swap rod caps? The rods have a chamfer on one side, so they have to be put in the corect location. Also, did you put oil on everyting? In the bores and assembly lube on the bearings? Did you plastiguage the rods?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:15 PM
MrMiracle
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: creekrat

Are you sure that your pistons are it the correct order? Did you swap rod caps? The rods have a chamfer on one side, so they have to be put in the corect location. Also, did you put oil on everyting? In the bores and assembly lube on the bearings? Did you plastiguage the rods?
Pistons and rods in order, numbers are on the rods and pistons, and on the caps. 1-4 passenger side front to back, followed by 5-8 driver's side. Rod caps are original.

Everything oiled, moly based lube on the bearings. Everything is to spec as per my Haynes manual. Its really frustrating. Guess I'll pry it apart this weekend.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:20 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

did you lightly oil the cylinders before installing the pistons?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:24 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

FYI when you install each pair of piston/rod's that are on any given crank journal, torque them both and make sure everything spins. it should get stiff, but it should also be able to turn over without straining yourself if your using a breaker bar.

something to check, how is the end play on the rods? you should be able to EASILY move them slightly back and forth when they are torqued down.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:26 PM
MrMiracle
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

FYI when you install each pair of piston/rod's that are on any given crank journal, torque them both and make sure everything spins. it should get stiff, but it should also be able to turn over without straining yourself if your using a breaker bar.

something to check, how is the end play on the rods? you should be able to EASILY move them slightly back and forth when they are torqued down.
I suppose it could be the rod bearing size. I ordered stock size, and double checked the numbers. I guess I'll just dive back in a little later.

Quick Reply: Difficult to turn with new berings and rings.