5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Leaking Intake - How Much Power Loss?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Leaking Intake - How Much Power Loss?

ORIGINAL: 94StinkinLincoln

warrenty work sucks.
yeah I wont be there longer, no work and too many mouths to feed. I got a 8-5 m-f offer repairing ADT security Fleet Vehicles and Assisting with home alarm installs when shop work is slow.

Salary non hourly, and I can live with that, wish me luck, and Ill be starting back into College Evenings,come winter, cant wait to party and the chicks love that stang!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:09 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Leaking Intake - How Much Power Loss?

ORIGINAL: Texas5.0

Whats up sam....

He said that the intake was leaking bad enough that the computer realized there was all the extra air so it would dump extra fuel causing an idle surge... then the computer would see the idle rising so it would cut fuel causing the idle to drop quickly - hence the idle problems. He said that my fuel trim was all over the place. Not sure what that means, but he was going to get it fixed. I know that it would cause a power loss, I was just curious as to how much? Am I going to see/feel a difference when its fixed?
That is correct. Basically, your car uses the O2 sensors to see if you're running rich or lean. it does this by adjusting the mixture up / down until it get's the sensor to "switch" from rich to lean or vice versa. Once it switches, it knows that it has gone too far and it goes back teh other way. So if you had a wideband sensor, you'd see your AFR constantly hover around stoich. It would bounce up and down over and over again.

Now if you are too lean, then the car adjusts the short term fuel trim and adds more fuel until it finally gets the car to switch. If it notices that in certain situations, it constantly needs to add more fuel to make the sensors switch, then it will mark that and add a long term fuel trim so that in the future, it will be right on the money. The same goes for running too rich.

With a vacuum, leak, there was no way to accurately measure exactly how much unmetered air was leaking into the engine. So the short term and long terms fuel trims would be different and would constantly change. Basically, teh engine would never realyl know what to do and would spend all day playing "catch up" while it tries to figure out what the problem is.

Yes, you should feel the difference when you get it fixed. Depending on how bad the leak was, it could make a huge difference. Did he say what you vacuum level was at idle? If it was that bad, i'm guessing you were pulling 10 inches or less.