5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Headers and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Detroit_Muscle
2nd Gear Member

Default Headers and exhaust

I am getting new exhaust and headers this week have not decided exactly which ones yet. There is a great shop here that will install the exhaust. I just need to buy the H pipe and they will install and weld and bend the rest of the parts for me for 400 bucks ( I have to buy h pipe myself). My question is it worth the 400 for them to custum bend and weld and make it snug. Or should I just buy the kit and do it myself. They also said they would install the headers for 300 bucks. thanks
Old 09-10-2007, 03:01 PM
86GreenMachine
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Headers and exhaust

Why pay someone to do it if you can do it yourself.I got custom tailpipes put on mine on soaked me about $325.I could have bought tailpipes on did it my self and probaly would have saved around 100-150$.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:05 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

exhaust is so easy you should be able to do it yourself no problems, you just need to be patient and take your time.

i would never pay a shop to do exhaust unless it was an application to where i could not get a kit for it or do it myself.

i say buy a full kit header, mid pipe, cat back. it all fits tight it looks good. i suggest summit shorties for ease of application and cost(good quality for the money) i have a summit X pipe and summit (flows) cat back system. it all fits really well.

ceramic shorties~ 250
X pipe~ 120
Cat back~ 310

all that and a couple of hours and it sounds really well. i really like the SLP systems now and their sound, you might wanna go that route instead of flows but they run about 500 cat back system. deff hit up the summit mid pipe and shorties!!
Old 09-10-2007, 03:13 PM
steel1
2nd Gear Member

You'll pay $200-$400 for an h-pipe, depending on brand, new or used,stainless or not,catted or not and you will still need to buy mufflers, plus the $400 the shop will charge. It's really not that tough, did mine on the garage floor with jackstands, in an afternoon, including headers. But if you don't feel comfortable with it, than take it to a professional. imo
Old 09-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Detroit_Muscle
2nd Gear Member

ok was not sure if welding would make much of a diffrence. And that was my first option doing it myself but was told about this guy and wanted to check it out.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:22 PM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

who ever owed my car before me put on all the summit stuff i think. i know its flowmaster 40's and an x pipe. but my car sounds like a beast.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Detroit_Muscle
2nd Gear Member

Ok thanks I think I will try and do it myself . Will just have to put a few posts up here when I get stuck.

thanks all
Old 09-10-2007, 03:27 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

pre fabbed kits are just as good as weld ins by pros. no need to pay alllllll that extra money for soemthing that will look pretty much exactly the same
Old 09-10-2007, 06:46 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Like everyone said do it yourself. Get whatever pipe you want for your carand the mufflers. You can save money by not getting the tail pipes and you wont have to worry about bending. Just use dump's.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Detroit_Muscle
2nd Gear Member

Ok think I am going to do it myself. I have no experience and am just to learn so how many days do you think it will take me to complete?

Quick Reply: Headers and exhaust