5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

The best Heads for the buck???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:08 PM
JONJON

Default The best Heads for the buck???

what heads are the best for the buck some one told me victor jr. today but I read good things about the AFR 185 I dunno what to do as im stuck between getting heads and converting to carb on stock block or just saving for the crate engine from DSS Racing.What do you think and has anyone here ever use those crate engines they are priced very well.Also a guy told me my 88 302 came with forged pistons is that true.I am craving to go faster so I am really considering just putting heads,intake,carb and full speed ahead.Thanks for any help.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: The best Heads for the buck???

It's only full speed ahead if you match all the parts right for your setup, otherwise it's flat on the face
Old 09-17-2007, 09:40 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

DSS sucks, so just get that outta the way right off.

for cheap cheap the GT40P heads from tristatecylinderheads for 600 bucks would be my choice. stepping up into aluminum aftermarket my first choice for cheap would be the patriot heads for 900 bucks
Old 09-17-2007, 09:56 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I have heard sev. bad thinks about dss. I know there will always be people that are not satisfied, but i have pages upon pages of customers bad experiences with them. And i agree, from what i have heard the patriot heads are awesome and a few bills cheaper than the big names.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

people forget about world windsor senior products, they have some awesome heads, power and torque right next to, if not better in the lower end than afr's, the only thing is they are iron heads. but hell the performance they give for 7-800 not bad.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

dss is bad??? wow that sucks glad i found that out before i went through them
Old 09-17-2007, 10:15 PM
JONJON

The patriot performance heads I could not find them for the 5.0 only the 4.6.Do they make them for my car?what about crate engine?what set up for street and strip do some of you run?Thanks
Old 09-17-2007, 10:29 PM
92Rideagain
1st Gear Member

I have a DSS short block and I am not happy with it. I have thrown so much at it that it became an expensive paperweight. I am now considering a motor built around the BOSS 302 stroked to 331cu from a reputable local engine builder. MMFF and other magazines have some many advertisements from DSS, CHP, and others but some of the best engine builders are never advertise in them. The big names that put their reputation into everything they build like Kuntz & Co., Kotzur Racing, Bennett Racing and more that I now that I am forgetting. You will pay for what you get; it all depends on what your budget is for your project. If at all possible look around for a local engine builder so if there any troubles with you do not have to worry about crating and shipping a motor back to someone.

Good luck.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:41 PM
JONJON

Thanks I know more or less which way im going for now I will just be looking for heads,cam and carb conversion on this site for now.Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

First of all afr is not the best bang for the buck when you look at there price. Second you cant put 185's on if your using stock pistons anyways either with victor jrs. Best bang for the buck is just about any cheap gt40 head whether its aluminum or iron because there the cheapest and they still are night and day between stock heads. Alot depends on how much money you want to spend, if your going to boost, and plans for the car. Answer those 3 and it will be easier to answer what cylinder head you should get.

Quick Reply: The best Heads for the buck???