5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Possible head and RR swap!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Possible head and RR swap!!!!

He is in Windsor Ontario Canada.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

Well, I was talking to one of my buddies, and he got me all if'y again. What he had to say was, if these heads are good, the only way to check is with a flowbench, and buying these heads without a garentee is bad news. Since he payed $500 a peice for his Vortech heads on his 350 and these are $400 for the pair, there has to be a catch. SOOOO I messaged the owner to see if he could give me any peice of mind, or any general info on there condition. He replied by saying that these heads are off of his personal car, and worked awesome. The only reason he is selling them is because he stepped up to victer Jr.s, and a power adder, AND he can give me a recipt for the heads from his own performence shop!

What do you think, besides what the owner says about them being ready to bolt on, and he can give me a recipt. Is my buddy just to..... bowtie? I think its a fair price, and if they look good (condition wise), check out to be GT40's, and they dont look gutted bya jack hammer. I'm getting ahold of him today, and was just looking for a little feedback from anyone. Thanx for all the help, sorry for the newbieness. Chadski~
Old 11-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Well, sounds like you answered your own question. The heads were done professionally at a performance shop. The real question is whether or not you trust his work. $400 a pair for worked-over iron heads isn't like the steal of a century either. Like I said, I paid $200 for mine, but, you don't even wanna know what I'm spending in freshening them up and port/polish work (guys on here would flip). However, I know my cylinder head guy very well and he does awesome work; with a flow bench and a 20 year drag racing history to prove it. So... The money, and peace of mind in this case, is fine with me.

Hell with it man... Go take a look at 'em and take a look at the guy's shop. Its always fun to go to a machine shop anyhow. Worst case scenario you're out for your time and gas money.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

True about him owning the shop, I guess if he does infact own a shop in Windsor, thenI might have to see if we could go check it out. I looked on the net for mechine shops and such, and found a couple in that city, but which one, I'll have to ask on the phone. I know these heads arent hard to dig up, I just thought they were a ok deal (if ported and polished well), and plus I dont have to call around to 10 different salvage yards[:@]. If its all a sham, then I guess I'll have to see about just getting the RR's NIB. Thanx for the thoughts, I'll have to just wait and see.Any ideas are welcome!
Old 12-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

Well, just got back and finished supper, here are some pics of the heads. The camera I used is junky, sorry for the quality....

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...cket/50015.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...cket/50010.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...cket/50011.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...cket/50008.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...cket/50004.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...cket/50003.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...cket/50019.jpg

...and I probably posted these pics wrong lol. The numbers are F3ZE AA. Now I've gotta get these puppies checked out at a mechine shop in london, so when I get the 160 for that, I'll know for sure if they are f'ed. They look pretty good to me, I didnt see any chips or cracks, but they are painted so... I have a receipt with his signature, and mine from his shop (he has his own copy). So if they are junk, I get my cash back, and I lose $160 for getting them looked at by a pro. The markings are all there, the valves look the same colour, and the ports are smooth all the way in as fas as I can feel. Sorry for the crappy pics once again, let me know what you think!
Old 12-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

Well, the heads check out to be not cracked!!!! The machinest said they look like they had a lot of moeny spent on the port and polish, so I guess thats another plus! Now I'll sit on these bad boys untill I get some idea's for a good intake, and possibly a cam. I hope it all gets put together sometime before, or after this summer. All depends on who can help with the swap, I'd be better off getting someone to do it for me, and I can help with whatever I can. Let me know of any idea's for the swap. Thanx for all the hits!!
Old 12-06-2007, 02:42 PM
hatchdemon89
3rd Gear Member

i would just buy the gt40p's off tristate cylinder head better heads anywayz
Old 12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

I have the GT40's off of a '93 cobra. They have the port and polish already for $400. Just to be sure I had them magged, and cleaned the deck up for an extra $190. The GT40p's are better stock, but ported and polished gt40's should outflow those,so I dont know why I would go buy new ones....??
Old 12-06-2007, 05:29 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

GT40p's are better than GT40's stock for stock, but only slightly. I would almost venture to say the difference is negligible. Plus, I'm pretty sure thatsince the p's only come off Explorers (to my knowledge), the compression would be slightly lower than the Cobra GT-40s. Again though, the difference will probably be insignificant.

His heads are already ported and polished so I think he got adecent deal there.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:37 PM
brywatz

don't think twice, you got a nice set of gt-40's. now have fun planning the rest!

Quick Reply: Possible head and RR swap!!!!