5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need opinions on this setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:24 PM
krkline2gdsm

Default Need opinions on this setup

Bottom end:
-302 block
-Stock crank
-KB pistons
-Eagle rods

Top end:
-Edelbrock performer heads (2.02/1.60)
-1.72 rockers
-Ecam
-ARP head bolts

Exhaust:
-BBK long tube headers
-BBK Hpipe (no cats)
-Flowmaster exhaust

Air/Fuel:
-GT40 lower intake man
-Anderson motorsports upper plenum (box style)
-70mm TB
-75mm MAF
-24lb injectors
-BBK 255 fuel pump
-Holley AFPR

Drivetrain:
-T5 tranny
-Aluminum driveshaft
-ES tranny.motor mount
-4.10 gears
-King cobra clutch

Ignition:
-Crane HI-6 coil/box
-MSD distributor
-8.5mm spiral core wires

Misc.:
-Electric water pump
-SMOG, PS, AC delete
-UD crank pulley
-MAF conversion setup
-A9L ECU

Have most of the parts laying around but havent assembled eveything and am sure I am missing a bunch of things to properly get everything to work right so I have a few questions.

1. Need to have a .039 head gasket on stock 4" bore. What head gasket should I use?
2. May use NGK plugs or ford motorsports plugs. What plug should I run and what gap?

If anyone sees anything out of line or missing, speak up please.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2008, 10:28 PM
charlesm489
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Need opinions on this setup

air flow research heads for a few more bucks also edelbrock performer rpm II manifold
Old 02-02-2008, 10:46 PM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

Eddy RPM heads make AS much power on mild tuned HCI cars as do the overhyped AFR heads. Don't get caught up in the names thrown around in the forums. Any of the AFR/TW/Eddy/canfield heads will make excellent power and fall within a handfull of HP...absolutely nothing you could even feel on the street....spending a few more dollars is better done on a tune session. Combo looks fine but I might look at going with the smaller valve head and possibly a slightly better cam. Custom cam is reallly only a few dollars more and will make a nicer driver. Not loving the box intake with large valve heads on a small 302, I think you may loose air velocity and find she's a bit sluggish on the street. .054 is a fine plug gap, I would not deviate from the Autolite plug...but if you want an plug upgrade I run the AR3924's which is a Autolite special race plug. The plug comes with a cut back on the strap which assists in fuel burn and a few extra HP, downside is they cost 3 times as much and last 1/5 as long.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

actually ive seen it on the dyno, canfields produce the most power, afrs would be after them, and edelbrock heads are good, but like he said, i would go with afrs, only issue on that,im a particular fan of their springs. so id upgrade the springs. edelbrocks on the other hand have great springs, so it depends if you wanna spend the extra money or not.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:04 PM
krkline2gdsm

Well like I said, most these parts are already scattered throughout the house here. Picked up the heads today for $500!!! Gotta let the machine shop go through them first. KB eagle combo has been instaleld for about a year now. Trying to make 325whp. Thats the goal. I am really trying to cut costs here as we are at the end of the assembly and funds are getting tight. An extra $500-600 for a lower/upper manifold setup might not be in the best interest but neither does a sluggish car. What about running a GT40 lower and upper?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:08 PM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

You will love the combo..you have a nice assortment of parts. Get it done and tell us about it!!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 11:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

edelbrock rpm's vs afr 185's ..please don't make me post a video of a real life race of me annialating a friends car with the eddy heads....he thought they were the shiz!! and we had similar builds
Old 02-02-2008, 11:24 PM
krkline2gdsm

2 different driver though right?

We already have the edelbrock heads. The selection of heads isnt in question, its the parts to make the heads seal/work correctly.

What are some good cam grinds out there? I found an Ecam for $75 but if I can find a nice duration cam that wont exceed 510 lift for cheap then what grind number or cam part number should i be looking for?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:27 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Performer heads for $500 is hard to beat. AFR 165's vs the OLD Performer/RPM was about equal, AFR 185's pwnt the old Eddy heads, but the NEW Pro Port CNC RPM heads with the 170cc port ouflow AFR 185's, that plus the smaller port = more power than 185's. But it's also gonna depend on how the combo is set up.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:43 PM
krkline2gdsm

exactly... $500 hard to pass up. We were originally going with the gt40s but seen these heads and had to scoop them up. Now trying to get rid of these gt40s we bought a while back.

Anywho, the heads are EDL-60399. 170cc intake runner, 60cc exhaust runner, 2.02" intake valve & 1.60" exhaust valve. Not trying to buy the best parts or be the fastest... just looking for a good solid combo. Not a mustang guru so this is why I am asking. I totally acknowledge more power can be made with a different cam. If you guys could pick one area where you could change, where would you go?

Quick Reply: Need opinions on this setup