5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Calling all Supercharger experts.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:33 PM
apedosmil
1st Gear Member

Default Calling all Supercharger experts.

I'm still browsing and obtaining knowledge about the whole installation of superchargers and havesome questions first off, in anyone's opinon what's the best brand name for a 5.0 Iunderstand vortech is a common onebut does it make a huge difference, also what's anyone's opinon on superchargers that tap into the use of the car's oil while others like Powerdyne's are just bolt-on and go. I feel more like leaning towards the just bolt on style rather then having to drill the hole into my oil pan but i feel like their might be a consequence to being lazy with this and that I won't get the true pull im looking for. Is their a big difference?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:40 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Calling all Supercharger experts.

There really is no "best" brand, however, if we are categorizing, I think powerdyne=the worst. Stay away from them. Prochargers are self contained and are very good units, and paxton just came out with a self contained unit. Its really all about what you prefer. Prochargers offer intercooled kits, but are a bit more pricy. Also, kenne bell makes a twin screw unit for the 5.0 that is worth looking at. Twin screw is for more of a daily driver with low end tq, the cetrifugal blowers like prochager, vortech, paxton, etc... offer high end HP. I have a Vortech S-Trim, and love it. Powerful, affordable, looks awesome.....
Old 02-10-2008, 08:40 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

vortech is a good brand. powerdyne is not however. they always blow and when they do they send bearing into your motor and ruin that too. so do not go with that. however vortech does have a new supercharger out right now that has its own oil system so you dont have to tap into the motors. if you want to be lazy then go the vortech route. just please for the love of god stay away from powerdyne.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:52 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Go geta Kenne Bell Blowzilla/Flowzilla 2.2L. They are kick ***. The only downside (I think) is that top mounts produce and get alot of heat from the motor. Theyare also self contained units. But this is just my opinion don't forget.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:04 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

yeah my bad it was paxton that has the new unit.
lol my bad.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:36 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

Go vortech. Their product and service is awesome. As for the oil system, take the time and tap your pan to do it right. Having a self contained unit brings up issues of seals leaking in the unit, the unit running hotter due to less cooling of the oil, having to remove the blower and change the oil seperatly every 6k miles, etc. Once you tap your pan, your done. No need to worry about changing the oil in the blower, you change it everytime you change the oil in the car. I was worried about tapping the pan too but once I did it, I found it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It was actually pretty simple.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

I got a kb i love it, i just wish they made some kind of intercooled unit cuz it runs hot as hell under that hood now, but its nothing methanol cant fix.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:38 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Mustangkiler, do you have any pics and videos of your car running? You don't see many 5.0's with KB's and I want to hear a good video.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

No vids of it running though , finishin puttin her back together right now, remind me in the summer and ill make a vid and email it too ya.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:11 AM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

I like my procharger, didn't have to tap into oil and wasn't too bad of an install

Quick Reply: Calling all Supercharger experts.