5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

T5 ?'s, for those who have had their tailshaft housing off-

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 05:27 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

Default T5 ?'s, for those who have had their tailshaft housing off-

Hey Guys,

I'm replacing the driven gear and clip on the output shaft of my T5.
After searching the net, I came up on a writeup about doing this on a WC T5 for a third gen camaro, and wanted to double check a few things.

Most of the steps are the same-
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/fa...eter-gear.html(in case you wish to check it out yourself)
This picture shows a seal on the end of the output shaft- I don't have such a seal, and wanted to be sure that it's a camaro only part, and not something I'm missing. Iknow we have a separate rubber seal located on the housing itself, just wanted to check to make sure this additonal seal isn't something that I'm missing.

Also, I was wondering what the proper procedure was, for putting the clip on the tailshaft, and sliding the driven gear over it. I want to get this right, since tearing the transmission open again to reattach the gear doesn't sound like fun. I also don't want to bend this metal clip in the wrong fashion, and have to wait 2 weeks to get another one.

And lastly, how do I position the spring and ball for the shift block while I try to put this back together? Procedure, along with the roll pin?

Thanks for the help guys!
I can't wait to get this thing in there, and have the stang back in action.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15172/48D2BD5490C249A2B9BB1D46351CA69A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-13-2008, 05:36 PM
302f150
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: T5 ?'s, for those who have had their tailshaft housing off-

That rubber seal isn't completely necessary. The t5's had a bunch of revisions. My 92 had it, all it is for is to help keep fluid from leaking out the rear of the transmission. As long as you don't overfill the tranny you're fine. The gear you're replacing is the driving gear. The driven gear is the one on the end of your speedometer cable. That clip is extremely simple to install. It has a tab that fits in a hole on the output shaft, you center in on that, slide the gear on, and it clicks into place. The shift block and spring and ball is pretty aggravating. What I've done, is move the shift shaft all the way forward. Then have the block with spring and ball installed in your hand, compress them with your finger, and angle the block in. Once you get it down and barely started on the shaft, you're good. Just move it until you get the hole lined up for the roll pin. For the roll pin, only drive in FLUSH with the hole. Don't keep driving it until you cant anymore.