5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tweecer r/t any good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:18 PM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

Default Tweecer r/t any good?

Ok im getting close to buying a tuner. The pms is real nice n all but 1grand ? i dont think its worth that. But the tweecer on the other hand like 300 used 500 new and You need a laptop right? Well if this is being tuned in my garage witch i have a desktop pc in my garage couldnt i tune it with that and unplug the usb cord and the tune will be saved on the chip in the car right?... I need help on tuner's.. whats cheap easy to use? ect
Old 02-17-2008, 03:34 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tweecer r/t any good?

What you described would work for datalogging IN THE GARAGE.

If you want to datalog on the road, where it matters, then you will need a laptop.
I found a pretty decent used Dell for $300.

The tweecer rt is a great tuning tool.
But as with all tools, it is only as good as the person using it.

It will take some reading to get up to speed. Not so much with how to use the tweecer. Learning the Ford programming philosophy is the hard part.

jason
Old 02-17-2008, 03:43 PM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

I understand. Thanks alot.. ya i also see your point about data logging while driving.. Im sure i can find one thats referbd or a old one or somthn that will work. But the pms is rediculously priced..
Old 02-17-2008, 04:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you'd better understang all the scaller tables involved in the tweecer cause the tables are not for the novice!! for example there are spark advance tables vs rpm and changes to such need to be known where and if changes are made in the wrong table what will happen.....things such as injector low and high slope needs to be understood..like what is it how do changes to such affect drivability or cure such issues.. when do you make a change to such ??....these are just a few examples of what you need to understand and believe me there are plenty more..tuning it may take you weeks and months until it's just perfect expecially if you don't know what your about to get into.....you'll need to data log on the road..come back analize data and adjust tune accordingly...see my friend cheap is on your mind..remove that word and replace it with practical!!....is the tweecer practical for you?? do you have the capability to learn it and understand it..cause it could cost you way more in the long run than a dyno tune with a chip burned for your application
Old 02-17-2008, 05:03 PM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...89224&rd=1 i just bought this. 400bucks? not bad i guess.. well Ive gotta learn sometime how to tune my own car.. But cant i take all this stuff with me to a tuner and have him do it? and then i can learn from there?
Old 02-17-2008, 05:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

sure you can as long as the tuner is familiar with the tweecer
Old 02-17-2008, 05:07 PM
AndySpeed
3rd Gear Member

ok kewl.. well im sure most are it seems pretty popular..
Old 02-17-2008, 06:37 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

dude, the tweecer is a COMPLICATED tool. very powerfull, though. you can change everything you could dream of, but its freakin hard to learn.... correction, it hard to find the INFO to learn how to use it. the forums are good, but like any other forum the info is in bits and pieces. if there was a complete manuel it would be a breeze compared to the alternative. as one guy said on eectuning . org, "congrats on the purchace, now get yourself a good flat screen,a bottle of tylenol and some reading glasses!" and trust me, you will spend more time reading about how to use it than you will spend using it. i have had it for 6 months and still dont know how to use it to its full potential.

keep in mind that the software that it comes with sucks for learning. there is an app. called Binary editor and EEC analyzer made by a guy named clint. that soft ware is a god sent BUT it cost 50bucks a program, you do the math. thats 100 more dollars. of course thats optional but its WELL WORTH it.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

I would personally go with Megasquirt. It's cheaper, and more versatile. I was leaning towards Tweecer as well until I read all the reviews on it. Megasquirt is more user friendly... supposeably...
Old 02-17-2008, 07:20 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

The programs mentioned above that cost 50 bucks each?

Basically you go on a drive with your car datalogging with your tweecer and saving the log on your laptop.

Run the log through EA and BE, and it will TELL you what it thinks should be changed to make your car run better.

There are forums here and about with folks who know what all these options in the stock ecu do, and how to tweak them, you have to be patient enough to learn from them.

I'm in the middle of learning, one of my first lessons was that you can't do dick to the car until it is healthy on all fronts. No codes, no vacumn leaks, no electric gremlins, otherwise you will have to do it again, and again etc.

So no tuning for me until I figure out a couple aggravating electrical issues.

Moates gear is nice stuff, use a tweecer and BE/EA to come up with a good tune you are happy with, burn it to a 10 dollar moates chip and you free up your tweecer for another car or resale. New ones are 550, used ones are 400-450.

Matt

Quick Reply: Tweecer r/t any good?