5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Pushrod length ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:46 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Default Pushrod length ????

Ok I have some stock roller lifters. I have taken the guts out of the and flip the barrel inside and put them back together. I have installed an adjustable pushrod and checked the rocker arm sweep pattern. I come up with the same length TFS is recommending. Which is 6.750 long pushrods. My heads have been cut I know 0.040.

Here is the questions.

1) Is this an accurate way to do this? DO I need to subtract something from the measurement due to the lifter internals being a little higher in the body than the factory lifter setup.

2) I am also concerned with the amount of threads sticking through the rocker arm. I want to know if I can install a shim either under the stud or guide plate? This is to raise the stud some to feel more comfortable about the amout of threads the rocker arm nut actual gets to grab a hold of. Last thing I want is to pull the threads off the stud or out of the nut.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:56 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Pushrod length ????

you need to buy a pushrod length checker from summitt like??$10-14

Its only an adjustable pushrod.

Anyhow you have altered the Geometry of your valvetrain and you need shorter stems to correct this.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: mcfomco

Ok I have some stock roller lifters. I have taken the guts out of the and flip the barrel inside and put them back together. I have installed an adjustable pushrod and checked the rocker arm sweep pattern. I come up with the same length TFS is recommending. Which is 6.750 long pushrods.

Here is the questions.

1) Is this an accurate way to do this? DO I need to subtract something from the measurement due to the lifter internals being a little higher in the body than the factory lifter setup.

2) I am also concerned with the amount of threads sticking through the rocker arm. I want to know if I can install a shim either under the stud or guide plate? This is to raise the stud some to feel more comfortable about the amout of threads the rocker arm nut actual gets to grab a hold of. Last thing I want is to pull the threads off the stud or out of the nut.
#1 if you converted a stock roller lifterand I have two converted for such and just set my valvetrain up on my 347 2 hrs ago!! so to correctly convert a stock roller lifter you remove the spring inside and shim with washers just until the barrel cup comes level as to where you can reinstall the retainer clip to maintain accurate adjustment...any otherway and you've converted a lifter wrong and will not give you an accurate measurement...6.750?? that sounds moree like the length of a flat tappet cam equipped motor heck my pushrods after using a checker came in at 6.400 as needed length...I think your prob is you incorrectly converted the lifter skewing measurement
Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: aode08

you need to buy a pushrod length checker from summitt like??$10-14

Its only an adjustable pushrod.

Anyhow you have altered the Geometry of your valvetrain and you need shorter stems to correct this.
did you read what he said??...he has an adjustable checker and he has not altered his valvetrain..reread post
Old 02-29-2008, 07:01 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

6.125-7.500 stock 6.200

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

$11.95

My heads were milled .030, and thin compression gaskets installed on the 347 for more power.

this is where i was at with stock after milling the heads

this is where I will need to be with a shorter length pushrod , confirmed with the above adjustable checker.

This takes time, so be patient
Old 02-29-2008, 07:02 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

If the pushrod is not setting down in the lifter like a factory lifter wouldnt this skew the measurment in a shorter manner? I have a set of TFS heads and TFS actually recommends the length I am measuring with a 61cc chamber. My heads have been cut to 55cc about .040ths. Which should shorten the rod length. .040 and the amount that the rod is setting up higher in the body would make it even shorter
Old 02-29-2008, 07:09 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

TFS-9000 Trick Flow Adjustable Pushrod Length Checkers
Pushrod Length Checker, Adjustment Range 6.125 in. to 7.500 in., Ball Ends, Each
Today $11.95

Yeah just buy this and check, then have a machinist give you a precision measurement, or order you the correct pushrods while you are there in his shop.

Not checking this counts for damaged Valve Tips, Broken Rockers, Broken Studs, and added stress on the valvetrain.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:16 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

You people are some non reading phuckers. I have stated in the first post I have an adjustable pushrod. Go back and read the original post again and try to answer the question again.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

6.750 long was correct with the sweep, and the guts were installed right, then roll with it.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:21 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

just buy the correct length longer studs you need and I where did I say you needed to buy a checker?? I stated in my second post that I knew you had one so talk to aode08 he's the one posting that you need to buy one[&:][>:]

Quick Reply: Pushrod length ????