5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New to the 5.0 perf. world.....Looking to build some power

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:32 PM
LackOfTraction

Default New to the 5.0 perf. world.....Looking to build some power

How's everyone doing?
Well I'm new to the Ford 5.0, this is my first.
I just bought a wrecked 88 mustang for the engine and trans.
It's a stock 5.0 with a ford motorsport flywheel and clutch combo, balanced crankshaft, edelbrock performer 289 intake manifold with holley double pumper 750, holley mechanical fuel pump, BBK short tube(unequal) headers. It has a mild street cam but I don't know what kind and the owner couldn't find the receipt for it.
The car was driveable but had a damaged frame so I drove it while it was all together.
It had a 3.73 rear end with Toms kick *** axles and some M/T drag radials.
The thing was FAST, the carb was tuned incredibly and VERY responsive. The trans is a Borg T-5, rebuilt by some mustang race shop(the name leaves me at the moment).

So I pulled out the motor and trans and I'm going to put it into another car.
It still has stock heads. I want to make a bit more power on this thing.
I don't need a ridiculous amount of power since it's going into a very light chassis(1500lbs) but I was thinking of at least better heads.
I want to keep it as streetable as possible, that is I don't really need it to have a wild lobing idle or bleeding rich of fuel. I don't want it to be to much of a machine to drive.
I don't want to touch the block, at least not yet on my budget, so I'm not looking to bore or stroke it yet either.

I could really use some of the knowledge that you 5.0 veterans have on this forum.
So any ideas???
Old 02-29-2008, 08:36 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New to the 5.0 perf. world.....Looking to build some power

well personaly i think that carb is gonna hurt more than help. WAY to much for what the motor has.he must have it jetted down(i think thats the term) quite a bit.

what kind of power are u looking for?
n/a or f/i

Old 02-29-2008, 08:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

pull the cam out put a decent one in and some good aluminum heads and a rpm intake and get rid of the 750 carb and put a 650 on......750 is to much for a mild 302
Old 02-29-2008, 08:39 PM
floodzilla
3rd Gear Member

i say keep the carb and design up a blow-through turbo system. but thats just me, a boost junkie.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:54 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

You have some mis-match parts on that engine. I would take the entire thing apart and inspect it. The carb is too much on that motor with that junk intake. Research and come up with you own combo suited for your needs. That combo sounds like the guy had some parts laying around and decided to throw them together. As for the cam, most of use lose the cam card but remember what our duration and lift is or what letter was installed if it was an alphabet cam. Be wary of what you have.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:24 PM
LackOfTraction

I'm definitely going to keep it carbed, no FI.
But I'm open to suggestions on the carb.
I personally didn't think the 750 was to much by how it ran. Es[ecia;;y since I'm a Mazda guy and we put 550cfm carbs on 1.3 liter engines.The stang wasridiculously responsive and it smoked the **** out of my friends Cobra when we went for a cruise(on the street and the freeway). The thing was quick. I'm sure the rear end had a lot to do with it to though.

What's the downfall of this intake manifold? I've been searching out parts online for the past couple of months now and I see there is an endless list of aftermarket suppliers for these motors. I can tell by looking at the intake manifold that the runners are probably all different legnths, that was the first thing I noticed, that and the header tube legnth. I'm all about equals.

Does any one have some links to street builds that have been done here on the forum?
I was snooping around trying to find some numbers after a build but still haven't founfd anything not track built or over the top for street civilized use. LOL.

I just want the motor to be responsive, full power band not narrow, not bleeding fuel from the pores, and not so cammed out that everyone notices at a redlight that my car is wobbling back and forth.
This motor and trans is going in a 1500 pound car with 3.27 rear gears.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the performer 289 is not a bad intake ... i HAVE ONE ON MY MILD 302 but that's just what it's for......mild street application..power from idle to 5500... it'd help if you knew the specs on the cam... and trust me the 750 is too much just go over to the carb forum and ask. all three of mine are carbed and on a wild 11 to 1 306 all I had was a 650 double pumper.....how it runs according to you can be decieving.....does it have power?? I'm sure is it efficient?? I doubt it... but finding what's in the motor would better help answer your questions
Old 03-01-2008, 12:00 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

I dont like the performer intake because it basically just better than stock IMO. I did say junk and that's probably a little harsh.
The 750 is too much carb for this intake. The intake would be more at home with a 600-650 cfm.

What are you trying to do with this car? Street Strip, Daily Driver, What?
Old 03-01-2008, 07:13 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

i think you should leave it all alone. you say it runs great....good

find some used aluminum heads , gt40, edelbrock, twisted wedge, afr if your lucky enuff to find some used.

anyways, go w/ the more basic head, 1.9/1.6 valves

have the exhaust ports ported nicely, do a comp valve job, and have them transition the intakes a little better. match it to the intake and you should see a huge response.

track times are everything....if it's not dipping into or extremely close to low 12's trapping about 105, then think about the carb.

after that...spray it
Old 03-01-2008, 07:37 AM
LackOfTraction

Well like I said. Froma seat of the pants rating, it runs great in the stang. It was incredibly responsive, no lag at all, power all the way to redline, and was much faster thanmy friendscobra(not supercharged). No matter what RPM you're at it flew if you floored it.

I want the motor for a street car, a super car more if you will. So that's why I emphasize that it shouldn't have such a crazy cam that it lobes at idle like a horny fat girl. LOL.

I've been reading up on different heads that are available through my google searching, the list seems endless. Wow.

Quick Reply: New to the 5.0 perf. world.....Looking to build some power