5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cheap Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Default Cheap Mods?

Okay so here is the deal, i am 16 years old. I have a 1984 mustang Lx that was converted to a 89 front end and interior. It supposedly has a 1989 motor in it, but im not quite sure about that part yet, it has a carb setup.

Right now i am jobless until i turn 17, which is march 13th. I have a job set up and i am wanting to make my car a little faster, but i won't be able to afford a heads/cam combo for awhile.

What would be the cheapest things i can do to get a little more power out of my car?

I already have 3.73 gears, not going to 4.11 cause i do alot of highway driving..

I have a decent exhaust, still need to get an o/r h pipe

I know underdrive pullies would help... but i have big soundsystem (2 15in subs, 1500watt amp etc.), would that mess anything up, or would that not matter?

And what else can i do that wont cost a fortune, for the time being?

Thanks for your time

Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Cheap Mods?

hate to tell you but there is no one real mod in my opinion that'll give you a seat of the pants boost...save for a decent h/c/i in all seriousness
Old 03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Ya sounds like you already have a decent setup for a start. Maybe save up for nos? Headers? Electric fan/3g alternator?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Okay... mjr46, you have helped me out A LOT with other things on my car and i was wondering what your opinion would be for the best h/c/i setup?

You seem to know a load about the 5.0... and i think ill trust your judgement, i don't want a real rough cam, but i want it to have some power, and sound good as well... also something that wont kill me with fuel, my fox is my daily driver [&:]

Old 03-03-2008, 07:46 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

cheapest mod....lose weight

and if you plan on going with a heads cam combo then you should just start saving now
Old 03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
NYMustang50
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: getafewlives

Ya sounds like you already have a decent setup for a start. Maybe save up for nos? Headers? Electric fan/3g alternator?
Do this and lose some weight like 89 ford said. also if you want under drive pulleys but don't want to be scared about damaging your sound system. http://www.marchperf.com/ they have what your looking for. they got a combo of getting some extra hp with out the fear of loosing the alt power.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:36 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Remove air silencer, relocate battery to the trunk, U/L manifold, get your h pipe, yadda
Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Hollister Hoodlum

Okay... mjr46, you have helped me out A LOT with other things on my car and i was wondering what your opinion would be for the best h/c/i setup?

You seem to know a load about the 5.0... and i think ill trust your judgement, i don't want a real rough cam, but i want it to have some power, and sound good as well... also something that wont kill me with fuel, my fox is my daily driver [&:]

well If I were you..I'd look for maybe agt-40 set of heads...get them ported.....a PERFORMER rpm air gap intake......if you got good headers then go with them if not get a set.. and for a cam..if you have a roller cam set up check out the comp xe series cams like maybe a 268hr or 270hr....these are decent ots cams and for the money all of this with gasket kit should keep you under 1000.00 and will yield you respectable power..with gears and slicksthis is and easy low 13 sec combo
Old 03-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nymustang50

ORIGINAL: getafewlives

Do this and lose some weight like 89 ford said. also if you want under drive pulleys but don't want to be scared about damaging your sound system. http://www.marchperf.com/ they have what your looking for. they got a combo of getting some extra hp with out the fear of loosing the alt power.

Thanks alot for the link, they have some great looking pullies, not bad price either.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

ORIGINAL: Hollister Hoodlum

well If I were you..I'd look for maybe agt-40 set of heads...get them ported.....a PERFORMER rpm air gap intake......if you got good headers then go with them if not get a set.. and for a cam..if you have a roller cam set up check out the comp xe series cams like maybe a 268hr or 270hr....these are decent ots cams and for the money all of this with gasket kit should keep you under 1000.00 and will yield you respectable power..with gears and slicksthis is and easy low 13 sec combo
Thanks a lot for the help again!!!! ill be saving up for these mods ,and buying them as soon as i can

Quick Reply: Cheap Mods?