5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

CLUTCH CABLE REPLACEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:13 PM
1990lxhatch
2nd Gear Member

Default CLUTCH CABLE REPLACEMENT

Whats up fellas? I usedto be a 5th gear member by the name of 90lxhatch but I changed email addresses and had to start all over. Glad to be back and I look forward to contributing again.......but I have to make my "first" post a plea for help. THANK YOU in advance for any replies.

I have a tremec 3550, king cobra clutch and an unknownquadrant. I know it is not thefactorypiece. It's alluminum, but I can't see who's name is on it.

I am trying to replace thecable and quadrantand install a firewall adjuster. I have the instructions for the kit and I also have a Ford shop manual....

TheSteeda manual instructs me to pry the cable loose at the clutch fork first. This is EXTREMELY difficult due to the stiff pressure plate and I have no leverage or fulcrum to use especially with a long tube collector in the way. I can separate the cable from the fork but with a few prybars it's justnot enough to get the square part of the cable end to fit through the slot that retains it. Perhaps if I had a long, bent, forked prybar (like the ones used to snap out "christmas tree" retainers) it would work......but I don't......[:@]

Thefactory manual instructs me to take the cable looseat the pedal first. I know the original quadranthas a self adjusting mechanizm that likely allows for this to be done. I haven't had the luxury of replacing a stock one and I know this lack of experience will make my project a bit more difficult.

However, my original quadrant is gone along with theself adjusterand honestly I am not 100% sure I can get enough slack on the pedalend to release it. I suppose I could drop the jack stands and give it another looksee.....

Can this be done either way? Surely theSteeda manual anticipates replacement of the original and not another aftermarket right?

Any general advice from experience on this? I am humble to ask because I have figured outproblems much more complicated than this but I am trying to tread lightly and do this the best way possible.

PLEASE HELP A BROTHER OUT. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 05:31 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: CLUTCH CABLE REPLACEMENT

if it is an aluminum quadrant, i would expect it to an adjustable cable....just take the 2 nutz off the end at the clutch fork and pull the threded part through it.

if it is aluminum w/ a stock cable.....you have to release the pressure by prying or just cut the cable if your not using it.

when you put the new one on....put the quadrant end on first, and just keep tension on it while you put the threaded part through the fork and use the first nut to hold it...then adjust it, thenlock it down w/ the 2nd.

never used a FW adjuster so i don't know what it does to the threaded end as far as length goes.

** i think i answered your q ?? not sure lol
Old 03-20-2008, 09:12 PM
QbonStang95GT
2nd Gear Member

consider yourself luky..if someone already took the stock quad out! i changed mine and lets jus say six hours on your back on the seat tracks ( cus i couldnt take the tracks off[:@]) lack of air tools lol ur gonna need a whole body of asprin and to go see a back doctor lol well not that bad but it was a b***h
Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I still dont see why everyone has such a problem getting the quadrant in and out. I swapped mine in 20 minutes!

anyway. get a friend to give you a hand, get a nice big socket, and have your friend step on the clutch pedal. Take the socket and place it between the fork and the bell housing. this should give you enough slack to get everything apart. If not.. you are doing something wrong!
Old 03-21-2008, 12:38 AM
1990lxhatch
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies. Good ideas..I need to check this out tomorrow.

Bob - The fork end of my cable has two nuts on a threaded rod. The first nut will easily move, but it looks like the second nut is welded to the rod.
Am I just a moron looking at an adjustable cable? If so, I'll grow a pair and get that second nut off one way or another.

Either way, the socket trick seems to be the best idea. But, I have my damn seat out and the car rather high on stands...so I may have to maneuver things around a bit.
Thanks Adder. I see you are still going strong on here...... I remember....you're the guy who stuffed t-shirts in his dumps when the fuzz came by to check out a noise complaint....
Old 03-21-2008, 07:28 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

if the second nut is welded...you wouldn't be able to adjust it. nor could you get it out no matter if you cut the fork off...it wouldn't fit through the fork

the threaded part on the front side of the fork should have a flat area to get a wrench on it to back it up

just go for it. that should get you...i never tried the socket idea...not bad, but once yuo get the threaded end out...you'll see you just need to keep tension on the cable the whole time just so the quadrant end doesn't slip out of the quadrant

sooooo....if for some reason you cannot get that nut off ??? gonna have to cut it
the replacement cable alone is probably $35 or so the whole quad+cable is only $89-ish
Old 03-21-2008, 01:02 PM
1990lxhatch
2nd Gear Member

Thanks again Bob.

I checked out your myspace...... You live in MI, love guns and ran down the strip at Lapeer........I bet you have been to"The Pit" inLapeer too huh?My buddies and I used to shoot there almost every weekend dude. I have hundreds of thousands of rounds stuckin that hill!!! Damn,I miss Michigan sometimes!!
Old 03-21-2008, 02:26 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

haha...isn't that what all mi boys do ?

i missed it too...moved back after 5 years in cali...still not sure what i was thinking

Old 03-21-2008, 03:11 PM
1990lxhatch
2nd Gear Member

Yeah well cali sucks in it's own respect.

With absolutely no respect at all..... This is Minneapolis today.

Poor crown vic has been covered since thanksgiving. The 350 loves it though.

Im ready for spring.