5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How to narrow down vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:35 PM
goatnipples2002
1st Gear Member

Default How to narrow down vibration

I have a vibration after about 4kish rpms. I changed the clutch kit, new flywheel, just changed the motor mounts and the tranny mount. After the tranny mount it seemed to become more apparent. It was there before the tranny mount swap. It does not go away when in neutral. Need suggestions to narrow down possible causes. Driveshaft bolts are "loctite'd" and torqued to specs. Lined up the way it was when I pulled it.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:40 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: How to narrow down vibration

So was the vibration there before all the changes you've listed? Have you checked the harmonic balancer?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

grab the driveshaft and check u-joints and play at the yoke/ tailshaft bushing for play
Old 03-21-2008, 09:46 PM
1989convertible
1st Gear Member

urethene or solid mounts.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:03 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

So was the vibration there before all the changes you've listed? Have you checked the harmonic balancer?
That was the first thing I thought of......when mine went, the Hood Prop Rod was vibrating so bad that it looked like someone was grabbing it and shaking it back and forth [:@]

Look on the back of the balancer to see if the rubber ring is coming out....
Old 03-22-2008, 07:45 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Mine is bad enough (along with bad motor mounts) that my dizzy cap rocks back and forth and the whole motor shakes at idle but runs great other than that. (shouldn't move I know but my clips for the lower cap just are not that tight.) I am gonna super glue that cap down to keep it from moving next time I go out to work on the car anyway.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:53 AM
goatnipples2002
1st Gear Member

I focused on some of the other problems before the tear down, but I don't believe it did it before. I replaced the u joints already. Now it does it in the upper rpms, but goes away when the clutch is in. Could a throw out bearing be off balance? The balancer rubber is cracked and unevenly coming out, but it does not have any play. The mounts are "solid rubber" as my store labels them on the computer (Advance). I guess the balancer is next. It got worse with the new tranny mount installed. What balance issues would go away in neutral but come back in gear and become more apparent with the higher rpms? My throwout bearing was kinda off balance when I got it, but figured it would straighten out on its own.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:51 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

If that doesn't fix it you may have something internally bent now.[:@]My brother' had a vibration he couldn't pin point. After a couple of dampeners he tore the motor apart to find a bent rod.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:12 PM
1990lxhatch
2nd Gear Member

Abalancer with rubber juicing out the sides like that is not good. Start there. But, the only reason that vibration would get better with the clutch in is because the engine is under less load. However, a bad dampner should be nasty ALL the time.

If the vibration wasn't there before the clutch and is now only present with the clutch engaged..... I'd say you got bunk clutch disk. It may have been stored on it's side or some shyt. Either way, it quits spinning when you depress the clutch. Otherwise, it may be something in the trans or driveshaft. Did you mark the driveshaft when you had it out?

Does the vibration occur in neutral with your foot off the clutch? It's nothing in the outputshaft, driveshaft or rear end if you can do it at a standstill. If it ispresentat a standstill in neutral withyour foot off the clutch but goes away when youdepress the clutch -it must be the disk,or the input shaftof the trans.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Dandy74
1st Gear Member

the correct way would be to buy a 10 dollar Serometer

Quick Reply: How to narrow down vibration