5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear main seal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:00 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear main seal?

I took my car up to meineke today becuase the low oil light was coming on and off...and they said my rear main seal was leaking decently bad....the car only has 65,000 miles on it though, so that seems strange to me...is there anything else this could be? or is it probably the rear seal like they said, and if it is anyone know how much that will be to replace (including labor because im not engine smart at all) Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 02:28 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear main seal?

Yes,

this is a very promblematic issue with the 5.0. Ask them to use one from NAPA, its teflon.

As far as cost, and labor, depends if you have an auto or stick.

Stick is around $580,

Auto $460
Old 03-22-2008, 03:34 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

Ok thanks, meineke is calling me back on monday with a estimate for the cost, but i took it up to midas and they told me around 360...so thats not too bad...but i also talked to a guy i know and he said that he doubts it really the rear seal and that its probablya intake gasket that went bad and oils coming out through there? he said he had an 302 lincoln and it did that...but im probably goign to take it up and get a second opinion by someone before i do that, because i looked in the garage on the floor under the car and theres some oil but not very much, and with how much oil meineke said i lost id be expecting there to be a lot more
Old 03-22-2008, 03:35 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

NAPAonly carries theTeflon rear main?
Old 03-22-2008, 03:46 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

There are a lot of different things that make it look as if the Rear Main is leaking such as: valve covers, lower intake, pan gasket and even PVC rubber grommet leaking just toname a few. So to say it's the Rear Main is leaking that may not be necessarily true, but a good posibility.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:49 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

****... $360 just to do the rear main seal???

Im doing a rear main, flywheel, clutch, and full exhaust on someones car for $350
Old 03-22-2008, 04:01 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

adder do you work in a shop like meineke or something run your own or just owrk on theside? im guessing its this much higher just becuase its in an actual shop, the only guy i know that could do it on the side doesnt have the time to do it anytime soon
Old 03-22-2008, 04:19 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

How bad is the leak? If it ain't that bad or you don't mind the occasional drip on the driveway, then I say screw it, and let it be.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:22 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

well they had to put a lot of oil in i think they said like a quart and a half to make up for the lost oil? or something like that, and they said it was leaking pretty badly, so if there telling the truth then im going to need to get it fixed someitme soon
Old 03-22-2008, 04:28 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

I doubt all that oil came out of the rear main, if it did, your car would be marking it territory everywhere you went.

5.0's are know for consuming a little bit of oil (almost every engine does).

Take a peek under there and take a pic if you can and post it.

Quick Reply: Rear main seal?