5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Backpressure....I might need to change some things.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Backpressure....I might need to change some things.

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

it's about running the exhaust system size that yields the best power(which is usually much smaller than most people think).
I agree with that statement as Borla catbacks specifically designed for 87-93 5.0's are made of 2" tubing (smaller than stock) but improve flow compared to some 2.5" setups.

The Borla catback designed for the 93 Cobra was made of 2.5" tubing.

I suppose this has to do with the mufflers themselves being of a straight through design.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/70.shtml
Old 03-25-2008, 01:07 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I have a good book on 4 stroke engine performance tuning, and the exhaust section has info on the approx hp ranges supported by pipe sizes, and a well built dual 2.5" setup is capable of supporting up to around 475hp before it becomes restrictive. Dual 3" is good for up to around 650hp. That's straight through design though, so add a restrictive muffler or cat and the power drops. I see plenty of people putting 3" setups on mostly stock cars, sounds good, kills power.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:04 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Leave the exhaust alone, upgrade the engine or put the car on the bottle.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:02 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Alot of cars out there with 240-270 Hp ready to challenge the stang.

You did the right thing with the exhaust, now you need to focus on the engine.

HCI, NOS ,BLOWER.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:25 PM
onebadyfz450

well i called the local speed shop and they said having no muffs, and no cats is making my car run like crap also, everyone here says i dont need backpressure, ok to smplify it, do i need mufflers..
Old 03-25-2008, 07:05 PM
mr_spider3

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

This is why almost everyone who runs dumps says they felt a loss in torque when they took the tails off, and most people who add tailpipes feel an increase.
well i dont agree with that. i have a stock 5.0 mustang. and i know my car very well, i got to know mine from driving in the winter and when you dont want the tires to spin you find the best throttle spot, i guess you would say. well im out of the winter now and putting the throttle to the same spot after taking off my mufflers, i have noticed an increase in torque, and i have no tail pipes.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mr_spider3

This is why almost everyone who runs dumps says they felt a loss in torque when they took the tails off, and most people who add tailpipes feel an increase.
well i dont agree with that. i have a stock 5.0 mustang. and i know my car very well, i got to know mine from driving in the winter and when you dont want the tires to spin you find the best throttle spot, i guess you would say. well im out of the winter now and putting the throttle to the same spot after taking off my mufflers, i have noticed an increase in torque, and i have no tail pipes.
So you have no mufflers and no tailpipes? Just an open h-pipe and you felt more torque??? Your cats are prolly plugged. [&:]

ORIGINAL: 1990lxhatch

pull your headers and run open ports sometime.

If you've ever done that, you must havebigger juevos than I do...
Old 03-25-2008, 10:13 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

I said "some backpressure" in other words "some restriction"

I don't give a rats **** if you call it 'pipe length tuning'
If you call a cat a 'dog' then you are wrong, it is that simple............

Resonant tuning is what you are talking about, but you keep calling it back pressure.

If backpressure were the only thing that mattered, then we would all be crimping our exhuast down from the factory size.
WTF?
That would increase backpressure right? And by your theory, increase performance?

Upgrading exhaust on a stock motor yeilds some very small results and most people upgrade their exhaust for primairly fora louder more aggressiveexhaust note(and looks).
Funny, I swapped out my exhaust pretty early on.... Only had 1.7 rockers and a OTS J3 chip (before I knew better guys, sorry...)
I noticed the difference...

This is why every exhaust manufacturer suggests that going too big will actually hurt performance.
This is becaue 'every exhaust manufacturer' does not do extensive testing for resonance tuning... duh...

These guys sell mass produced parts to cookie cutter cars... not a good example to use for discussing design principles...

This is why no one runs a dual 3" exhaust system (unless you have a massive build).
Maybe cost is part of that????????????
And, again, I think you are talking mass produced exhaust components?
Designed to 'work' on cars built to a wide variety of specs.......

This is why you don't get headers with real huge primaries (unless you have a massive build).
Unless you take the time to 'tune' the primaries... in which case pipe length and diameter are the major factors...

Regardless of the primary diameter, it isn't backpressure that is working here...

Funny,
My cousin had no cats and dumps on his Mustang when he purchased it. A couple months later, when he had to go through emissions he added cats and dump mufflers.
The care sure felt slower to me.... each scenario will play out differently.
It depends on the rest of the build!!!!!

My point is...
It ain't 'backpressure'!!!!!!!!!!

Once you accept that there is something else at work, you can begin to understand it....

good luck,
jason
Old 03-25-2008, 10:13 PM
1990lxhatch
2nd Gear Member

[/quote]

Haha. Not on my rig brother! I've run bikes, quads and four cylinder cars without manifolds but never a 5.0. That would be like the voice of God. It'd be like Dogma and my head would explode[8D]

If you ever get the chance, Ihighly recommend feeding a GM 2.5 "Iron Duke" some BB's some time. Spits 'em right out. Rather hot and fast I might add. Had a few too many and decided to show my buddies AFTER I removed the manifold[:@]
She'll take more than you feel comfortable feeding her though!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Haha. Not on my rig brother! I've run bikes, quads and four cylinder cars without manifolds but never a 5.0. That would be like the voice of God. It'd be like Dogma and my head would explode[8D]

If you ever get the chance, Ihighly recommend feeding a GM 2.5 "Iron Duke" some BB's some time. Spits 'em right out. Rather hot and fast I might add. Had a few too many and decided to show my buddies AFTER I removed the manifold[:@]
She'll take more than you feel comfortable feeding her though!!!
"juevos"?.... maybe..... "cojones".... I doubt it.....

Guys..... anytime I read about the backpressure BS, is like saying........ the tire is flat, you don't need to fix....all you need is a jack and raise the car frame, so it will be round again. Exhaust tuning, as "dude" mentioned is what is really important, but limiting exhaust flow IS NOT tuning..... tell a 100m sprinter athlete that he needs to plug one of his nostrils to be faster....... and LUK the response you get in return.

Quick Reply: Backpressure....I might need to change some things.