5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

spark plug reading

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:26 PM
91ford302
2nd Gear Member

Default spark plug reading

Ok, i changed my spark plugs today, and they were all white. From what i understand this means my car is lean and/or overheating. I cannot understand why a computer controlled fuel system should run lean, but im not an expert. I have shorty headers and a catless exhaust, which i have heard can make a car run lean, but the 02 sensors are still connected... I am also running an E303 cam and everything else is stock on the engine. I also have seen the engine temp gauge climb a little high sometimes and cannot figure out why. I have replaced the thermostat and radiator cap and still the gauge climbs high. its hard to tell if its overheating, caus it doesnt peg the gauge, and there are no numbers where it sits, so i dunno what temps its reaching...

I have a bad feeling i might have a leaky head gasket, but the plugs were not wet and my exhaust does not smell like coolant. I am also running the stock clutch fan. Are they horrible at cooling the engine? should i put in a flex-a-lite style engine fan or go straight to an electric?

Any help/suggenstions on my problems is appreciated, I just want my car to run well and dont want to blow it up or anything because of a stupid mistake.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:40 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Default RE: spark plug reading

What plugs did you put in it? The clutch fan works just fine. I have one on mine and don't have a shroud at the moment and don't have any overheating issues. Try change the fuel filter.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:44 PM
91ford302
2nd Gear Member

cant tell you what the old plugs were, but they were stock replacement motorcrafts, as far as i know stock heat range. I have changed the fuel filter recently, and the injectors were replaced when i rebuilt the engine, and i cannot see any leaks where they seal.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:47 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

How old is the fuel pump? Have you looked at the fuel pressure latly? How is your timing?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:50 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

one thing about fuel injection is they do run a little leaner than carb engines. an fi engine will have a slight white shade on the plugs. it is nuttin to worry about i just recently changed mine also and they were a little white too. just means it is runnig properly. as for it running a little warmer it may be a sender or gauge mine started doin kinda the same thing and i put a new sender in and it works great now. but in the case it is getting warmer you might try goin to oreillys and getting some flush and cleaning the cooling system out the radiator may be getting a little stopped up. good luck
Old 04-05-2008, 09:52 PM
91ford302
2nd Gear Member

dunno on fuel pump, have never replaced it, but it has always whined since i bought the car, can hear it inside the car (hatchback) i figured it was normal caus i have the trunk stripped out. The timing is set at 12 degrees, and i run 87 octane most of the time. I didnt think the car would benefit from increased octane, but if i need to run it i will.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:54 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yea the fuel pump will have its whine. Try what white93 said and replace the sending units.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:38 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Running on the acceptable lean side is fine as long as you're not overheating the plugs or getting detonation/pre-ignition. Also most modern pump fuels have additives to clean stuff out, so they don't leave color indicators as readily on spark plugs.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:01 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

your fine !! a little light shade of white is fine...lean is mean!! as for the overheat.. with the dummy gauges on foxes it's hard to tell what temp your actually at.. that's why mine are all converted to mech gauges.. I'd reccommend getting a mech gauge for accuracy then you can see if a prob really exists
Old 04-07-2008, 11:13 AM
91ford302
2nd Gear Member

ok i might try to flush the radiator, havnt ever cleaned it out before. I was afraid i might need a new one, but it doesnt leak or anything right now, so this will save me some money then.

Also I was wondering if i wanted to switch to electrid fan, what kind and size should i run? push or pull? and what cfm or any specs i need to have, caus i want it to be enough with just that if i can, free up some power...hehe

Quick Reply: spark plug reading