5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP! ASAP! REAR TRANNY SEAL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:44 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Default HELP! ASAP! REAR TRANNY SEAL!!!

you guys might remember this video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_8APmtD_Bhw

i blew my REAR tranny seal on the dyno the other day.

well today i payed a guy to fix it for me.

its a local shop, and the guy has helped me out, and been very cool.

well he dropped the drive shaft, the old one fell out, and used a hammer and banged the thing into place.
i dident see him use any sealant, but im not sure if you have too.(and are you sapposed to beat the living hell out of it to get it in there?)

well it only took an hour id say to get the car up in the air, get the new seal in, and flush the tranny.

i asked him if i need to "break in" the seal, he said "no, once there in, there in, i wouldent romp on it like crazy, but it should be fine."

the guys at the shop where drooling over my car, and telling me how its the nicest 5.0 to come through there, and where hinting tword me burning the tires.

when i left i did a really short MILD burnout kept it under 3-4k rpm. maybe lasted 10seconds
went home, parked the car, no leak, fluids good. cool.
few hours later i decide ill take the car to work, so i let it warm up for about 3min, checked under the car no leaking, bad ***.

now about half way to work on the high way, (about 7miles from my place, at 2krpm (4.10s) i smell something, look in my mirror, and sure enough theres smoke coming from my car. ( i babyed the car, but at 55-60mph im at 2krpm due to gears)

now im PRAYING its just from my exhaust from before, but no way, i couldent ever be that lucky.

on the way into the parking lot at work, i see fluid trailing behind me, smoking coming through the floor board, and the tranny is making funky grinding noises.

so i park the car ASAP, and check the fluid level, its fine, not perfect, but not low.
i look under the car, and YEP, the damn seal is hanging there, and fluid is dripping real slow.

so im asking you.

did my dumb *** burn out blow it? even though it dident blow immediately?

did me taking it on the highway with the 4.10's reving high do it?

maybe the wrong seal?

is there something wrong with my tranny thats spitting out seals?!

i really need some help, im super stressed, as tommarow morning someones coming to buy my truck from me.
and i have a motorcycle, but i dunno if i want to sell the truck, as the car is being retarded right now.

[] plz help[&o]
Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: HELP! ASAP! REAR TRANNY SEAL!!!

wtf??? banging the driveshaft in with a hammer?? good way to damage the output shaft.....man you gotta find a new mechanic and not a hammer one either I don't call helpin' ya'out ..droppin the driveshaft, damaging it then beatin' it back in with a hammer yoke should just slide right in effortlessly....as for the seal .....did they check the tailshaft bushing and make sure it doesn't have alot of play in it???
Old 04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

You shouldn't have to hammer the driveshaft in place, it should line up and slide in. I would definitely address that problem first, seeing as it is probably the reason the seal split again. And no, your burnout most likely didn't ruin the seal. There could be a possibility he put the wrong seal in. I remember having to pull my front pump seal on my tranny first, just to make sure I got the right one at the parts store because they were 2 very similar to each other and the guy behind the counter didn't know $hit. Did you watch him do the job? I would definitely take my car back to his shop and get it back up on the lift to check things out.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:30 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

he hit the SEAL, not the drive shaft.

and when you say "tailshaft bushing" do you mean where the driveshaft bolts into? how would you check for play?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:35 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Are you sure the seal went out originally?

Typically if it spews fluid out at high speeds (like it did on the dyno) it is usually the breather overflow.

Same thing on the 89, we were driving on the highway going very very fast for an extended perod of time, and it started smoking (3.73's at the time). We pulled over, saw tranny fluid all over. Got it home, looked it over the next day, and it has been dry scince.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:51 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

i really doubt it was an over flow, on the dyno, yea, id belive that, but not from what happend today.

and yes, im sure its the seal, as it was fine after the seal, and now that its dripping/spewing out, you can see the seal hanging there.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: 302army187

he hit the SEAL, not the drive shaft.

and when you say "tailshaft bushing" do you mean where the driveshaft bolts into? how would you check for play?
the bushing is inside the tailshaft and it surrounds the yoke......grab a hold of the yoke with driveshaft installed and see how much it'll move up and down
Old 04-07-2008, 07:57 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

im not sure what the tail shaft bushing looks like, is it the part the driveshaft slips onto?

btw im AOD if that matters?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:08 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if you pull the driveshaft out and the seal out then you can look up in there and see a brass bushing the loke slides into/ bushing surrounds it and an aod has one too
Old 04-07-2008, 08:29 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

ok sweet.

btw, my dad who has had mustangs sence they first came out, and my grandpa are both telling me interesting things.....

my dad says im dumb for trusting a BS mechanic (thx dad)

and my grandpa SWEARS he KNOWS what it is, and that its the "air release valve" or w/e

a valve that lets are out to relive pressure, and he says he KNOWS its clogged, and thats whats building the pressure to blow the seal!?

Quick Reply: HELP! ASAP! REAR TRANNY SEAL!!!