5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

it never ends..help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

Default it never ends..help!!

alright so mgw shifter comes in mail yesterday...get home from school today put the shifter on...put everything back together and wtf..tranny is makin some crazy noises now..now to start..on the way home i noticed a squeak ..it would be there in neutral with motor runnin, but would go away when clutch was depressed...also could hear it goin down the road...so..put the shifter in...and now is when it goes downhill big...take it for a drive and wow..its loud...my only description would be to say it sounds like the old muscle car GM (i think) "rock crusher" trannys...in every gear..and also if it in neutral but the motors runnin...goes away when clutch is depressed..so i figure its gotta be trans related...because when clutch isnt engaged theres no noise..but once the trans starts spinnin it starts makin the noise...also noticed while driving it shakes a lot...i mean a lot more..like vibration wise...please some tell me its just somethin dumb and not something major..this day was goin so good too...anyhow..please give me some kinda input as to what this is..
Old 04-09-2008, 06:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: it never ends..help!!

are you sure the throw out bearing isn't making noise?? does the shifter have adjustable stops??
Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

shifter has adjustable stops yes..but there back far enuf to not even interfere because by mgws instructions say that t5 has internal and doesnt require these to be used...i just talked to one of my buddies who does quite a bit of ford stuff..races, builds motors, that kinda stuff..anyway..he also brought up the throwout bearing...he recommended that i just barely press the clutch and see if it changes..not actually go to the floor..but just to like the friction point..i just put a new one in when i did the swap last fall..but ive read about them goin out right away...so i spose it could be...but what gets me is even parked, in neutral, with motor running clutch depressed theres no noise...but as soon as i release the clutch(while still in neutral) it starts the noise...does the to bearing start spinnin just right when u engage the clutch?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:03 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

are you sure the throw out bearing isn't making noise?? does the shifter have adjustable stops??
What would the throw out bearing noise sound like?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:10 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Check fluids. My clutch squeals when its not engaged, more so when its cold then after its been moving.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:26 PM
1992lx5.0
1st Gear Member

throw out bearing sound is like a bottomend wrap on a car...more the less a spun bearing
Old 04-09-2008, 07:45 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1992lx5.0

throw out bearing sound is like a bottomend wrap on a car...more the less a spun bearing
and just WTF does that sound like?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 PM
95stang5.0
3rd Gear Member

Looks like we might being changing throw out bearing this weekend buddy. It hasnt been leaking any fluids has it? Im pretty sure when i talked to you on the phone u said no. Dont worry well getem going and to the track by then end of the month.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:34 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

well guys thanks for the insight...i was gonna change the headers this weekend anyway so the exhaust is off..hell whats droppin the tranny lol..just a little bit more..but hopefully that wont be a problem..i can pick up a new to bearing from the speed shop by my school tomorrow ...on the plus side tho...the shifter was amazing when i test drove it lol..minus the whole noise/shake issue..but before i noticed it i was out tearin up the main road in our town..it hits third so easy..u could litterally just like push the clutch n slap it n it would go to third...sooooo much better than stock..
Old 04-09-2008, 11:23 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94Yellow50

alright so mgw shifter comes in mail yesterday...get home from school today put the shifter on...put everything back together and wtf..tranny is makin some crazy noises now..now to start..on the way home i noticed a squeak ..it would be there in neutral with motor runnin, but would go away when clutch was depressed...also could hear it goin down the road...so..put the shifter in...and now is when it goes downhill big...take it for a drive and wow..its loud...my only description would be to say it sounds like the old muscle car GM (i think) "rock crusher" trannys...in every gear..and also if it in neutral but the motors runnin...goes away when clutch is depressed..so i figure its gotta be trans related...because when clutch isnt engaged theres no noise..but once the trans starts spinnin it starts makin the noise...also noticed while driving it shakes a lot...i mean a lot more..like vibration wise...please some tell me its just somethin dumb and not something major..this day was goin so good too...anyhow..please give me some kinda input as to what this is..

Throw out bearing