5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 04:35 PM
1quick50

Default PLEASE HELP!

ok.last night i bought a 92 mustang gt.Im now the second owener.the man i bought the car off of was in his 80s and told me that he wanted to sell the car due to a broken leg wich he said he couldn't be able to drive 5spd anymore.i bought the car for 3,500.i must of got the best deal ever.the car is very clean inside out!the motor is very clean and all bone stock.but there a problem.The man told me that the car has been sitting on his garage for a whole year.So when we charged the battery and started the car the motor started shaking alot. it was running a litle rought so i thought it might of needed a tune up and checked the timing.After all that the motor still shakes while is in nutral and it sounds like if its cammed.also wen runningat low rpms the car sounds like is going to turn off.but wen the car is past 2000 rpm it ride a lil smoother.does anybody know what can be wrong?or is it something that happens after sitting there for a year and will soon go away?please help! thanks=)
Old 04-11-2008, 04:43 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: PLEASE HELP!

yeah,

drain the gas tank
Old 04-11-2008, 05:20 PM
86 Mustang GT

After a car sits that long the gas separates and the "schlaque" sinks to the bottom of the gas tank, I would drop the gas tank and flush everything out this should solve the problem.

[/align]
Old 04-11-2008, 05:32 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

fresh gas, fresh plugs , typical stuff...make sure you do a fuel filter

if you unplug the inertia switch in the trunk...then start the car and let it die...it will get rid of most of the pressure in the fuel system...then when you R&R the fuel filter...you won't get sprayed so bad, cycle the key on/off about 4-6 cycles total (when you hear the pump run then stop) after you put fresh gas in to get the new filter primed and it'll start right up.

congrats...shouldn't be a problem for you....clean the maf screen and tb w/ some brake cleaner too....maybe the iac but it should be fine.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like bad gasand or avacuum leak to me.