5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Alignment Shop Grinded Out Mounting Holes on Strut Tower, Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:50 PM
C_A

Default Alignment Shop Grinded Out Mounting Holes on Strut Tower, Good or Bad?

I had my car aligned recently. The shop grinded out the mounting holes on the top of the strut tower.

Are there any potential problems in doing this?

I was told this was a needed repair in order to set the camber but why would this be needed?
Old 04-18-2008, 08:54 PM
C_A

Default RE: Alignment Shop Grinded Out Mounting Holes on Strut Tower, Good or Bad?

Here is a pic.

[IMG]local://upfiles/76380/66A2FFE5EC9C4AECB557980C59BC5AB7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-18-2008, 09:03 PM
NYMustang50
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Alignment Shop Grinded Out Mounting Holes on Strut Tower, Good or Bad?

Well if you ask me yea i wouldnt bring my car back to them and its too late now.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

I believe that is BS. Every time I aligned a car with a front strut I was to grind out the mounting holes on the lower strut mount where it bolts up to the spindle.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:23 PM
LX 90
3rd Gear Member

Yeah to adjust camber you can grind out the holes on the lower strut mount or the upper. It looks 100% better when you do it on the lower strut mount but that guy was prolly to lazy to remove the strut.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

looks like they slotted it to get caster adjustment......and if you ask me it looks like a hack job.....as long as it stays in place you'll be fine.......but honestly there is a better way to have done it and look neater....obviously they are clueless about mustang technology...they make caster camber plater to do what they did but it only looks cleaner like this...see: look on top of the strut towers

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...inished001.jpg
Old 04-18-2008, 09:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if you have to gring anything from fac settings then somrthing is either worn out or bent[:@][:@]
Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 PM
C_A

ORIGINAL: mjr46

looks like they slotted it to get caster adjustment......and if you ask me it looks like a hack job.....as long as it stays in place you'll be fine.......but honestly there is a better way to have done it and look neater....obviously they are clueless about mustang technology...they make caster camber plater to do what they did but it only looks cleaner like this...see: look on top of the strut towers

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...inished001.jpg
Staying in place was a concern I had. I was thinking that adding the caster/camber plates whenever I had the $$$ might help with staying in place because I believe you have to drill an additional mounting hole. ????
Old 04-18-2008, 09:51 PM
C_A

if you have to gring anything from fac settings then somrthing is either worn out or bent[:@][:@]
I was wondering what is bent. Based upon how much they moved the upper mount for the strut, it looks like something has bent a considerable amount.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: C_A

I was wondering what is bent. Based upon how much they moved the upper mount for the strut, it looks like something has bent a considerable amount.
either a strut or control arm or subframe issue

Quick Reply: Alignment Shop Grinded Out Mounting Holes on Strut Tower, Good or Bad?