5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Default Filter

What is the quickest, easiest way to replace the fuel filter on a 1984 mustang?

i already replaced the one next to my carb, but my car is soo slow, im trying everything i can to tune it up.

Any help/tips will be appreciated.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Filter

bumpage?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:13 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Fastest way, locate the filter, use a screwdriver to undo the hose clamps and remove the filter and replace. I am sure I am misunderstanding the question but I have read it 3 times now..... unless your talking about the filter in the tank? I don't think your performance issues are related to fuel delivery since your carbed and your mechanical pump is obviously working.

Can you give more feedback to the performance issues?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Yeah im sorry, I replaced the Filter going right next to the carb.

I also bought a Different filter... I got that one, and i was told by the guy at advance there was one in the back, near the fuel tank. So i bought one of those as well... And after looking at my car for a long time, i Can't locate this filter.. So i don't know if i bought a filter that doesn't even go on my car, or if im just not looking in the right place, I don't know.

My car is real slow, and it hesitates to go sometimes. Like ill let out of the clutch in first, and it will start to go, then it almost kills itself.

I don't know what the problem is. I know my car should be faster than it is with the 3.73 gears.... But lets just say i got raped by a stock honda civic... So idk.. ill have one of my friends video tape the speedo getting on the highway this friday. Maybe i'm just mistaken as to how fast a 5.0 is.

Other than that it runs decent.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:36 PM
302f150
3rd Gear Member

you know.....you have to hit the gas and let the clutch out slowly....if you just dump it or let it out quick it will bog the motor down...plus, an 84 5.0 is a whole different animal than alater fuel injected one, less power, and i dont think they had a roller cam(someone?) any drag times?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

haha yes i know how to drive a manual, i have been driving them longer than automatics. Started at 13.

Anyway. It does it if im flooring it, or if im just casual driving, doesn't matter.

Yes my car has the tappet style cam or w/e, maybe thats why its so slow? idk its just disappointing to me. I not only get horrible gas mileage, but i can get raped by a honda thats getting 30+ miles a gallon WTF!

Does anybody know if the 84 even had a fuel filter in the back? or was i just sold something useless to me?

as for drag times, NO i would be embarassed to even try, its probably an 18, at the best.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:56 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

As far as I remember you have the filter at the carb and a strainer in the tank. If you follow the line from the mech pump to the tank and there is no filter there then I would say the guy sold you a filter for a injected model, does it look like the one below? For it to bog down like that it sounds like air/fuel mixture or timing to far advanced.

[IMG]local://upfiles/94046/7869562CD7BB445FB2EBCC5CD83CC251.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

nope, this looks nothing like that...

here is what i was sold....

Old 04-22-2008, 07:53 PM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

The one you're holding in the pic is the fuel filter for the carb. When i had my 4180, it was the filter that was basically inside the carb right where the hard fuel line screws on.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

oh ok

Quick Reply: Filter