5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Honda Guy Turned Mustang guy with questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 AM
CarAudiophile

Default Honda Guy Turned Mustang guy with questions

I am looking to purchase if my offer goes through a 1993 Mustang 5.0. Car has a new motor that he says one of the valves allows a little blow by causing to smoke at WOT and use a bit of oil. (Car has 36,000 miles on it but the motor has been rebuilt and used the heads that were on the old engine) So my question is if I replaced the head I have been told to just rebuild it then put an E303 cam in the car. Do I need to do the lifters with the 303 Cam?

I was looking online at fully assembled heads in the neighborhood of 500-800 for it. Basically I am not looking to drag race the car, street race the car or be Johnny Stunt driver every where. I want to drive the car in the Summer and just enjoy a reliable driver. Would it be better for the budget I am in to just rebuild the factory heads or order an out of the box bolt on.

With a bolt on I am told there is alot of calculations that goes into getting the correct one for the car. Basically I just want a factory replacement and the car will have your basic modifications. (I/H/E). Again not wanting a race car or fastest product for the buck. I just want an engine in good working order with all the correct parts.

Again car will never see Nitrous, a Turbo or Supercharger nor bea weekend warrior. It will be mine to drive during the summer to work and back and maybe a late night weekend drive a time or two. Like I said I am coming over from the Honda world where I had pretty good luck and ran across this car and always like these years along with the Milage and the condition the car is in. I will probably have more questions but this is all I have now.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Honda Guy Turned Mustang guy with questions

if your not looking to race the car in any way i would just say replace with stock heads or gt40 heads (can be got from junkyards) they are similar to stock mustang heads as they are from ford vehicles themselves. if you plan on replacing the cam i would give comp cams a call and have them get you what you need. IMO new cam means new lifters as they do wear.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:11 PM
CarAudiophile

I wasn't planning on doing a cam on the car but I figured since I would have it pulled apart for the heads its better to just get it done all at the same time. Are there people who sell straight rebuild kits for the 302 heads? Also will they just sell factory spec stuff vs. me having to know lift/duration length of valves and all of that other stuff. Basically I want the car back to new with 0 problems and the easiest way to do it. Not cost effective but ease and I am will to spend more to make it an easier fix as I can't have the car down to long.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 PM
1990NOS!
2nd Gear Member

i actually have a set of factory heads from my 1990 LX. They're back in SC wherei'm fromjust sitting in an enclosed trailer, also have factory cam, and intake.... Just throwing it out there.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:12 PM
CarAudiophile

What do a set of Factory heads go for these days. Just throwing that out there. I amsure there are probably a million set of heads laying around it just scares me tossing on a set of used one and being at the same place I am at now yet down the time and the money spent on the used heads.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:25 PM
1990NOS!
2nd Gear Member

Just look at some of these to get an idea...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

i have the cast iron World Sr. heads on my car-- 200cc ports (from the man.) I got them re-worked and now my numbers are .202 intake which is what they came with,.190 exhaust- just opened up a lill more on the exhaust side, also brought 1.6 roller rockers, ARP studs, fasteners, lockers, retainers and Comp cam Valve springs....
All in all i have abut $2200 into my heads (including labor).

Just take a look, do some research, price things out.... it'll come together.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:31 PM
CarAudiophile

Looking at those that looks like just a bare head. I was told that usually when you order the complete heads made out of box people usually strip them down any ways to make sure they are correct. This hold true that I am just better off buying it piece by piece rather than ordering an out of box?
Old 04-29-2008, 03:59 PM
1990NOS!
2nd Gear Member

honestly thats what i did with my heads... ordered them bare, brought all the fixin's piece by piece... I also didn't need the car-- i was over seas where i couldn't drive.. So my heads sat in a performance shop as parts kept coming in.... Just a thought.... On summitracing they also sell Head Combos... But aluminum of course will be your most expensive type of heads to go with, c/iron are heavier yes, but are cheaper and can still create and hold plenty of power.
PM me--- i have a guy in SC that owns a Performance shop, all he does is mustang and LS cars... I'll give you his number, he could prolly find you a set for what you're looking for...
He'll also try to talk you into puttin on the giggle juice...
Old 04-29-2008, 08:09 PM
TTGreenSN95
3rd Gear Member

the e7's are dirt cheap you can look at ebay and get em rebuilt for pretty cheap I just gave a set awayto get them out of my garage.. the best bet if your tearing it all down is get a decent set if you dont youll wish you had
Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

smoking at WOT caused by a valve... lmao..

whoever told you that is a ****ing moron.. those rings are shot

Quick Reply: Honda Guy Turned Mustang guy with questions