5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

nitrous on a stock fox DD

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 05:03 PM
sYckmYnded
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: nitrous on a stock fox DD

you can run 125shot on a stock 5.0 ALL day long with no problems, iv done it for going on 14 years now.

be safe shoot 100 and it will be a diffrent car when you spray it!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:06 PM
86302gt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

ORIGINAL: 86302gt

you make a good point but the saleen focus had nitrous factory lol ya if i was him i would get some paint susp and h/i/c then worry about fi that would be the safest thing to do n/a is alwae going to be safer
Got a link?

Nitrous is nice, until something goes wrong.

It reminds me of watching lightning.

It sure is cool, until it hits you!
http://www.fast-autos.net/vehicles/S...004/N20_Focus/
Old 05-20-2008, 08:23 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

1) I want to state that I never said that nitrous will absolutely kill the engine or it isnot able to be worked with.

2) I would rather introduce lots of air, than an explosive fuel additive, like N20.
1) well i didn't speak of ne1 particular about the car blowing up from too much moonlight or because the sun rose too fast on the vernal equinox... but too many of that opinion around here and most from people w/ no experience whatsoever with it.

as far as the second statement.... 100% wrong and also contradictive

gasoline is flammable, the vapor is explosive.

nitrous is none of the above. it will not burn, explode or even get hot. in fact, it boils at about -500* so thats as hot as it ever gets. in an enclosed cylinder however... pressure will keep it in liquid form and not boil away

when you speak of "air" i will assume you speak of 21% oxygen and 79% nitrogen (typical breathing air)

"air" doesn't make power... oxygen does

squirting nitrous chemically injects oxygen(after it separates in the heat of the combustion chamber)... for the same benefit as mechanically packing it in like a blower or turbo, or by heavy port work / stroking to gain more airflow. they create "more air" where it needs to be

now i'm not picking on you, don't get me wrong... when i was younger i thought of nitrous as cheating... and not real horsepower. (mostly due to how easy it is to use)
then i finally broke down in about 1998 or something because of the ls1 cars.

then i realized.... no matter how fast you are... you can always use a little juice (everyone else is using it)

and when you understand it and respect it for what it is (and not fear it for what it IS NOT)
you too will become a nitrous junkie.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:28 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

that was minus 500 degrees ^^^ .... it went to a second line so it looks like +500*
Old 05-20-2008, 08:37 PM
jkrum10238
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Burke3531

In my younger years I used to work as pizza delivery driver, driving an 88lx vert with nitrous and some other mods. That car went through hell but held up fine. I'm still using the same, never rebuilt longblock in my 84 car. If you have an 87-92 car with the factory forged pistons the motor ought to hold up fine as long as everything is in good running order and you've upgraded the fuel pump.

The transmission is another story though. A T5 is rated to handle what, like 265 lb/ft of torque? Even on a little shot you're going to be pushing 400 lb/ft. Probably have the same problem with an AOD. You WILL break it.

Either get good at rebuilding trannies or spend some big money on something stout.

I chose to learn how to rebuild a T5.
i sure hope not 87 5.0 is rated at 300 ftlbs stock
Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

THANK YOU BOB...5spd GT, nitrous is your friend.ITS JUST ADDING MORE OXYGEN TO THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER!

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

1) I want to state that I never said that nitrous will absolutely kill the engine or it isnot able to be worked with.

2) I would rather introduce lots of air, than an explosive fuel additive, like N20.
1) well i didn't speak of ne1 particular about the car blowing up from too much moonlight or because the sun rose too fast on the vernal equinox... but too many of that opinion around here and most from people w/ no experience whatsoever with it.

as far as the second statement.... 100% wrong and also contradictive

gasoline is flammable, the vapor is explosive.

nitrous is none of the above. it will not burn, explode or even get hot. in fact, it boils at about -500* so thats as hot as it ever gets. in an enclosed cylinder however... pressure will keep it in liquid form and not boil away

when you speak of "air" i will assume you speak of 21% oxygen and 79% nitrogen (typical breathing air)

"air" doesn't make power... oxygen does

squirting nitrous chemically injects oxygen(after it separates in the heat of the combustion chamber)... for the same benefit as mechanically packing it in like a blower or turbo, or by heavy port work / stroking to gain more airflow. they create "more air" where it needs to be

now i'm not picking on you, don't get me wrong... when i was younger i thought of nitrous as cheating... and not real horsepower. (mostly due to how easy it is to use)
then i finally broke down in about 1998 or something because of the ls1 cars.

then i realized.... no matter how fast you are... you can always use a little juice (everyone else is using it)

and when you understand it and respect it for what it is (and not fear it for what it IS NOT)
you too will become a nitrous junkie.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:14 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

lol, i want NAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWZZZZZZZZZZ too!

so now that we have the n2o gurus here........... 125 shot......... dry vs wet........ and to tune or not to tune?
Old 05-21-2008, 03:05 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 302army187
so now that we have the n2o gurus here........... 125 shot......... dry vs wet........ and to tune or not to tune?
uh-oh, your gonna start a fued w/ that one lol

imo for 125 or less... go dry, it's just easier. and i have yet to tune a 5.0 w/ juice w/ stock heads and everything... just doesn't need it.

after my top end is on, i will however dyno tune it and have a chip burned, you will pretty much gain 10% minimum from a custom tune if it needs anything , and more if something isn't working right.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:12 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Alot of people argue wet vs dry. The only danger of running dry is that your fuel system may not be able to keep up with the demand for more gas. A wet shot mixes the nitrous with gas, and shoots it into your intake, thus creating a bomb. Dry is much safer as long as you have the correct fuel components. So i say go with a 100 dry shot, and upgrade your fuel pump (buy a walbro for like $120) and get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. After that all you need to do is drop the timing a few degrees, gap the plugs to .040" (per. nitrousbob), and put some 93 octane in it and watch it rippp. You may want to mess with the shot size on street tires. My 150 dry will destroy the tires through 2nd so 100 should be good.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:45 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

well i figure go big or go home, i dont think i would spray but maybe once a wk, maybe even less, so im not really worryed about it.

it will wait till i swap out the AOD for a "built" t5, then ill start thinking about it.

as far as "fuel" would the new/bigger pump cut it with my stocker 19 injectors?

Quick Reply: nitrous on a stock fox DD