5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Why are my valves pinging ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Why are my valves pinging ?

^^like you said, check timing, then change to higher octane fuel and after that if it still does it seafoam da' puppy!!!!!!!!as long as no egr codes are present ftw!!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:59 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

who needs an egr[8D]
Old 06-13-2008, 10:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^I don'tf egr!!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 10:08 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

lol exactly new engine build will have no emissions
Old 06-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

ORIGINAL: mjr46

well everyone has added useful info and I'd run higher octane and if your timing iswhere you say it's at, you shouldn't be having this issue...what everyone has missed is one key factor that causes detonation,all ready mentioned are#1 inadequate octane fuel, incorrect timing and the third not mentioned......=on your engine when such occurs/ pinging on a higher mileage 5.0..it is often a result of elevated cumbustion chamber temps which is caused by an increase in compression as a result of excessive carbon build up on top of the pistons/ cumbustion chamber = corrected by using a good induction clean / seafoam treatment...I like BG induction cleans.....also I'd run a koer test and make sure there are no EGR codes... a malfunctioning egr systemwill contribute to pinging in that the egr introduces exhaust gases into the cylinders to quench the combustion process to lower chamber temps to reduce pinging..hope all this helps
k.i.s.s.

100%, but probably a bit over analysized. If he screwed with the timing thats probably the case. If you havent, then check the previously mentioned statement.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:11 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

every little bit helps but i think mjr likes to show off how much he knows sometimes[8D]
Old 06-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

every little bit helps but i think mjr likes to show off how much he knows sometimes[8D]
Were all guilty.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:32 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Slo5oh

ORIGINAL: mjr46

well everyone has added useful info and I'd run higher octane and if your timing iswhere you say it's at, you shouldn't be having this issue...what everyone has missed is one key factor that causes detonation,all ready mentioned are#1 inadequate octane fuel, incorrect timing and the third not mentioned......=on your engine when such occurs/ pinging on a higher mileage 5.0..it is often a result of elevated cumbustion chamber temps which is caused by an increase in compression as a result of excessive carbon build up on top of the pistons/ cumbustion chamber = corrected by using a good induction clean / seafoam treatment...I like BG induction cleans.....also I'd run a koer test and make sure there are no EGR codes... a malfunctioning egr systemwill contribute to pinging in that the egr introduces exhaust gases into the cylinders to quench the combustion process to lower chamber temps to reduce pinging..hope all this helps
k.i.s.s.

100%, but probably a bit over analysized. If he screwed with the timing thats probably the case. If you havent, then check the previously mentioned statement.
correct diagnosis begins with understanding what causes symptoms and not assuming what it could be.......explain to me why his car pings at 12-13 degrees with 87 and mine at 15 and 87 doesn't???
Old 06-13-2008, 10:48 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

actually with each new advanced diagnostics class I attend and complete I feel more stupid and how little I do know.. this industry is ever so changing and it's tough to stay on top of it and being in the independednt repair side of the industry you never can focus on one make or model so you become a jack of all trades and a master of nothing..sometimes I wonder if the dealership life would be more relaxing...I go from working on a bmw to a toyota and back to a classic car each week[&:]
Old 06-13-2008, 11:16 PM
will
2nd Gear Member

It's nice for consistancy and ease but I get bored quick so I volunteer for every "off brand" that comes in... I hate to be bored

Quick Reply: Why are my valves pinging ?