5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Why are my valves pinging ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:51 PM
bjlo4life

Default Why are my valves pinging ?

Can someone please tell me why my valves keep pinging when I run my 5.0 hard. Usually in 3rd to 4th gear, I'll hear my valves start pinging and my temp gauge goes higher than it should and I have a loss of power. I thought it may be the timing but I think I had it in time and not too advanced. It's at about 13 or 14 I think. I have a new rad., thermostat, hoses etc. Also once in a while it wont start after running it for a while when it gets hot ?? I am running a 9 blade fan w/ a clutch and its getting plent of air, removed the ac condenser to try to help cool. Still gets hot (not boiling) but a loss of power . Any info sure would be appreciated.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:21 PM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Why are my valves pinging ?

i know if yout timing is too advanced the car wont start after running....and i know pinging can be a result of timing not correct...what octane fuel are you using?? i would check timing anyway to be safe..you dont wanna cook a valve or fry a piston
Old 06-13-2008, 07:39 PM
bjlo4life

currently i am running 87 octane. i have only had the car for a few months . when i did the timing i believe i set it at 12-13 ? My numbers on my crank gear are really hard to see. when i was under there looking up i saw the tc , btc , 20, 10 , 0 ,10 etc not in that order though. so i marked it at a few line past the 10 toward the btc i believe. also i did this w/ the spout conn. out. jumped out from under the car and hit it w/ the light and adjusted the dizzy til my mark was on and that was it. to be truthful i didnt retard it any after idrove it and had the problem cause i was to tired and frustrated to mess w/ it. also i dont know if i even went the right way on the dial to time it correctly ? i wasnt sure if i should go to the right or the left after the 10 i saw on the gear.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:44 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

probably timing.... run your tank down towards E and throw 10 bucks of 91/93 in there and see if it fixes it. if it does, run premium or back your timing down a few degrees
Old 06-13-2008, 07:53 PM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

i would run 93 in it if you could..i do being that i have alot of mods on my car not to mention the car runs better with the higher octane....if your car needs the higher octane it iwll ping..my parents durango pings in the summer so they have to run at least md grade if not super in it to stop pinging
Old 06-13-2008, 07:59 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

if your running 13-14* advanced you need to run 91 octane mininum. you are getting preignition detination and that is very bad for your engine. either back your timing down or run higher octane.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:07 PM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

theres little explosions inside your engine lol put 93 in and see if it still does it
Old 06-13-2008, 08:21 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89mustangfive0

theres little explosions inside your engine lol put 93 in and see if it still does it
there are always little explosions inside the engine these ones are happening way to soon and trying to force the piston and crank out the botom of the engine before it comes to tdc
Old 06-13-2008, 09:21 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

well everyone has added useful info and I'd run higher octane and if your timing iswhere you say it's at, you shouldn't be having this issue...what everyone has missed is one key factor that causes detonation,all ready mentioned are#1 inadequate octane fuel, incorrect timing and the third not mentioned......=on your engine when such occurs/ pinging on a higher mileage 5.0..it is often a result of elevated cumbustion chamber temps which is caused by an increase in compression as a result of excessive carbon build up on top of the pistons/ cumbustion chamber = corrected by using a good induction clean / seafoam treatment...I like BG induction cleans.....also I'd run a koer test and make sure there are no EGR codes... a malfunctioning egr systemwill contribute to pinging in that the egr introduces exhaust gases into the cylinders to quench the combustion process to lower chamber temps to reduce pinging..hope all this helps
Old 06-13-2008, 09:32 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

lol well he never asked how exactly it happens but thanks for the info mjr you always like to add the extra info i think they all could have used it anyway

Quick Reply: Why are my valves pinging ?