5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Blew my left knee - converting 5 speed stick to automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Satori 5.0

Default Blew my left knee - converting 5 speed stick to automatic?

The car in question is a trip black '95 GT Mustang Convertable, with the original Tremic T-5 manual transmission. I love my car for the obvious reasons but just recently blew my left knee out rather badly and probably won't be able to drive stickshift for, say, the rest of my life. The car is in absolutely beautiful condition and I absolutely dont want to trade it in, so I was trying to get some information about converting it to an automatic transmission. If its possible, about how much it would cost, what would be a good matchup etc. I am a mechanical engineer by trade but am fairly lacking in direct experience, space and tools at the current moment so it is more likely that I would have to pay a shop to do the work. This is of course 1 year after I dropped $2000 on a full tranny rebuild, new clutch etc. Isnt life great. Anyhow, any help or advice on the subject would be most appreciated.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:19 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Blew my left knee - converting 5 speed stick to automatic?

blowing your knee out doens't keep you from driving a stick as long as you are out of the cast. I had my right acl reconstructed after a rugby injury and I think it is better then my other knee, I jokingly refer to them as my bad knee and my worse knee.

Stay off of it for a week or two and get a couple of rides and you will be ok. It sucks at first but it does get better.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ttocs

blowing your knee out doens't keep you from driving a stick as long as you are out of the cast. I had my right acl reconstructed after a rugby injury and I think it is better then my other knee, I jokingly refer to them as my bad knee and my worse knee.

Stay off of it for a week or two and get a couple of rides and you will be ok. It sucks at first but it does get better.
man... im sorry to hear about the knee.
if you must convert it over, you'll need a new tranny obviously, bellhousing, flexplate, torque converter, the "automatic" computer instead of the manual one, the shift lever. i dont know about the cross member though, i've never converted anything. alot of that you may be able to find on sites like craigslist.com or ebay
Old 07-07-2008, 07:37 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

well your in luck.

im going to a stick, unfortunatly for you, im going tko- i need it lol

its in my sig, pm me if you like. i have a 95 gt, came as an auto, i can help you out plenty, just let me know.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

man that's a bummer..hope the knee heals up good!!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

sorry to hear

redpony pretty well called it on whats needed.
I didn't have to change my transmission crossmember, but my swap was in an '89. I'm not sure of the differences in dimensions of the aode & aod. T5's use a longer bellhousing & input shaft on 94-95 vs 87-93, but since the auto shifter is linkage controlled i don't know why they would change it.
I did have to adjust my crossmember a little bit though with the aod swap. Also, autos had a heat exchanger built into the radiator (87-93 anyway) so you'll need to either buy a cooler or different radiator. I highly recommend getting a cooler. I used one off of a van that I found at the junkyard for my c4.

If it's a built aode i'm sure you won't miss the 5 speed much. I've done 7 transmission swaps on my car, not because any of them failed, just a preference thing. This last swap was from a built c4 to t5 because of fuel mileage. I personally thing a built auto with a decent stall is alot more fun to drive than a manual car anyway. I would swap back, but my aod isn't build at all & my c4 got crap fuel mileage (was building it for strip). I plan on going with a built aode when I can get time & save up $. I'm sure you'll like it plenty if it has a little work done to it

Old 07-08-2008, 11:42 AM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

sorry to hear

redpony pretty well called it on whats needed.
I didn't have to change my transmission crossmember, but my swap was in an '89. I'm not sure of the differences in dimensions of the aode & aod. T5's use a longer bellhousing & input shaft on 94-95 vs 87-93, but since the auto shifter is linkage controlled i don't know why they would change it.
yea, that was my only issue, cause i know if i were to go tko i'd need to modify my crossmember, on the fox you could buy the adjustable one so, i think the sn may not need it. cause they wouldn't wanna make a specific crossmember for each tranny, thats too expensive
Old 07-08-2008, 01:39 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redpony88
yea, that was my only issue, cause i know if i were to go tko i'd need to modify my crossmember, on the fox you could buy the adjustable one so, i think the sn may not need it. cause they wouldn't wanna make a specific crossmember for each tranny, thats too expensive
It came adjustable. You have some room for play, but you have to grind off a small bead weld. I used a punch & hammer to hit mine off, then I tapped the crossmember to move it.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:04 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

i realized this after i went and bought the new crossmember, like the bellhousing they said i needed[:@] all you need to do is drill 2 holes in the stock t-5 bellhousing......
Old 07-08-2008, 04:23 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

where are you located? i might be able sell you all the swap stuff frommy 95 gt.

ORIGINAL: Satori 5.0

The car in question is a trip black '95 GT Mustang Convertable, with the original Tremic T-5 manual transmission. I love my car for the obvious reasons but just recently blew my left knee out rather badly and probably won't be able to drive stickshift for, say, the rest of my life. The car is in absolutely beautiful condition and I absolutely dont want to trade it in, so I was trying to get some information about converting it to an automatic transmission. If its possible, about how much it would cost, what would be a good matchup etc. I am a mechanical engineer by trade but am fairly lacking in direct experience, space and tools at the current moment so it is more likely that I would have to pay a shop to do the work. This is of course 1 year after I dropped $2000 on a full tranny rebuild, new clutch etc. Isnt life great. Anyhow, any help or advice on the subject would be most appreciated.

Quick Reply: Blew my left knee - converting 5 speed stick to automatic?