5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

All sorts of problems with 95 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Templeofdooom

Default All sorts of problems with 95 Mustang GT

I am troubleshooting my friends 95 Mustang GT 5.0 which is giving her all sorts of problems. She told me she was driving on I81 at about 80 Mph when she heard a funny noise and the car started to vibrate and make a whining noise. The other problems have been going on for over a year now.
Main problems:
Pinging like crazy, shifting from first to third (seems to hit second but doesn’t stay) with a funny front to back bounce under soft acceleration, whine from torque converter while in park but worse in forward or reverse but only slow speeds, idles rough with high-low-high pattern and all of her gauges will intermittently max out then go to normal and odometer and trip meter stopped turning.
Replaced so far:
All 4 rear shocks, EGR valve, IAC, Air Charge sensor, fuel pump (was whining), Air filter, full tune up, BG induction service, BG trans flush.
Found:
Rear output shaft makes a terrible grumbling whine when car is revved up and on a lift; VRef is 6.68 volts, no codes with KOEO and KOER, cylinder balance test passed, vacuum gauge reads steady and reacts correctly to tests in all data. Idles great with spout connector disconnected and timing is dead on.
Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:51 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Default RE: All sorts of problems with 95 Mustang GT

where is this car located?

you cant diagnose 90% of problems over the net.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:53 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

well you know that you have tranny issues, so I'd say start with that. A bad torque converter could cause that. Best bet would be to pay the hours rate at a tranny shop for a diag.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Pinging like crazy:
origional balancer and how many miles on car?
was timing adjusted to what?

trans and converter problems need to have some one experienced driving the car to figure it out for sure.

idles rough with high-low-high pattern:
EGR valve, IAC, Air Charge sensor (IAT), fuel pump (was whining), Air filter, full tune up
was the MAF cleaned?
new plugs, cap, rotor, wires i presume?

BG trans flush: very good stuff...but if the converter has trash in it, that machine wont get it out. if it has trash in it, its going to go in the trash. (BG fluids are the best imo)

Rear output shaft makes a terrible grumbling whine when car is revved up and on a lift... the tailshaft on the trans?

Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Templeofdooom

The car is located in Woodbridge VA. What role does the V-Ref play with the sensors? Where does it originate from? Could all of the sensors be sending the wrong signals due to a voltage of 6.6 when it should be 5.0? According to the shop I was at today they said that 6.6 was very bad but they had no idea what would cause the voltage to go high. My friend has little to no money to put toward this so I'm chipping in where and when I can.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Templeofdooom

The car had a balancer installed about 4 years ago @ 90,000 the odometer stopped @ 127,000. We checked the timing and it was at 10 deg. I had two people test drive the car and it didn't act up at all, just my luck. I forgot to list that I changed the MAF about a year ago just after I ruined the last one by over oiling a K&N air filter. Yes new plugs, wires 8.8mm, cap, rotor. The TPS is reading 1.02 volts. I read on another post that anything over 1 volt would cause idle problems, is this true?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:47 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: Templeofdooom

I am troubleshooting my friends 95 Mustang GT 5.0 which is giving her all sorts of problems. She told me she was driving on I81 at about 80 Mph when she heard a funny noise and the car started to vibrate and make a whining noise. The other problems have been going on for over a year now.
Main problems:
Pinging like crazy, shifting from first to third (seems to hit second but doesn’t stay) with a funny front to back bounce under soft acceleration, whine from torque converter while in park but worse in forward or reverse but only slow speeds, idles rough with high-low-high pattern and all of her gauges will intermittently max out then go to normal and odometer and trip meter stopped turning.
Replaced so far:
All 4 rear shocks, EGR valve, IAC, Air Charge sensor, fuel pump (was whining), Air filter, full tune up, BG induction service, BG trans flush.
Found:
Rear output shaft makes a terrible grumbling whine when car is revved up and on a lift; VRef is 6.68 volts, no codes with KOEO and KOER, cylinder balance test passed, vacuum gauge reads steady and reacts correctly to tests in all data. Idles great with spout connector disconnected and timing is dead on.
Anyone have any ideas?
pinging if timing is set to stock and gas is good quality......they I'd have a good induction clean done and it is a result of elevated cyl temps due to most likely carbon build up in cumbustion chambers and on top of pistons.......BG products sells a two step cleaning process that works well....for tranny shift probs.. make sure fluid level is at correct level and can't remember if the aode has a TV cable but if it does make sure ajustment is correct..as for rough idle..check for vaccum leaks..as for gauges..make sure connector at the back is not loose.......and v-ref signal is supplied via ecm
Old 08-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Templeofdooom

Thank you, I will check the connector. If the V-Ref is 6.6 and supposed to be 5.0 should the PCM be replaced? Or can it be opened and adjusted?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:36 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

o one thing i forgot, the 94/95 auto's will act up of the motor isnt running right...
i found this out when i bought mine, i had a cracked head and a knock from it, the trans shifted like crap, i took it for a drive after i rebuilt the motor, no problems what so ever, i turned the timing up to high and blew a head gasket, guess what, thats trans started acting funny again. so that might be some of your problem. if i remember right, when i put the new cam in and had a hunting idle, the trans would clank after the shift and the car would kind of jump foward and back for a second.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Templeofdooom

The car had a balancer installed about 4 years ago @ 90,000 the odometer stopped @ 127,000. We checked the timing and it was at 10 deg. I had two people test drive the car and it didn't act up at all, just my luck. I forgot to list that I changed the MAF about a year ago just after I ruined the last one by over oiling a K&N air filter. Yes new plugs, wires 8.8mm, cap, rotor. The TPS is reading 1.02 volts. I read on another post that anything over 1 volt would cause idle problems, is this true?
yes, get it under 1v

between .71 and .98 is the best range

Quick Reply: All sorts of problems with 95 Mustang GT