5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ebay twin turbo headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:13 AM
jaimeson

Default ebay twin turbo headers

did alot of research on the forums, other web sites on this kit and hear is what I found.

1. People say this kit doesn't clear the hood, no one has pics.

2. people say this kit hits the power steering pump and alternator, no one has pics

3. people say the manifolds crack, no one has pics

4. people say the turbos are junk, fair enough, the kit is cheep as hell to have decent turbos

5. kit DOES need alot of fab, not a big deal for some people but does it clear the hood?

so what is comes down to is very strong opinions, speculation and a lack of facts

Aside from using the kits turbos, has anyone actually tried these manafolds and verified a clearance problem with hood or alternator? or is it all hear say?

WTB more constructive less destructive

[IMG]local://upfiles/100199/DA2355512A0C49DC904CBFFDDDCD9DD2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/100199/D243C35E907B447F82F460F6308567D3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/100199/3BDED012587A4543A5D2DEF3CF888DFE.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-08-2008, 08:27 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: ebay twin turbo kit

ok i have an idea....you waste your money, gernade your motor....and then post pics!!!![8D]
Old 08-08-2008, 09:00 AM
jaimeson

oh so now the kit grenades motors, what next? it knocks your girl friend up too? less opinions more facts
Old 08-08-2008, 09:05 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

this is based on a fact from a member who purchased the kit. also....just google it there are plenty of people blogging their complaints with pictures of the turbo impellers chipping off and getting into the cylinders....
Old 08-08-2008, 09:29 AM
jaimeson

I know the turbos are junk, I am talking about the manifolds on if they fit under the hood and clear accessories.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:10 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

mmm, i consistantly hear clearance issues with the kit and also needing much modifcations. to work. also i hear the kit has poor quality materials so the manifolds crack/warp making for horrible leaks.

personally i think its worth it in this case to purchae quality parts from a known manufacturer
Old 08-08-2008, 12:58 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

The manifolds are made from cheap thin steel. They can't withstand the heat that a turbo motor will produce. I've worked in the turbo industry for years and have done coountless installs and custom fab work. If you want my professional oppinion along with facts here it is. Most of these ebay manifolds use a 3/8" stainless steel flange, that's bad. Stainless steel polishes up nice but will warp from heat, along with it being extrememly thin. The standard for most companies are 1/2" cold rolled steel. The tubing itself on most of these manifolds are 14G, meets standard requirments but still extremely thin when the average for reputable companies use 8G tubing. Once it does crack it can be tig welded but that will change the "tuned", for lack of a better word, length of the tubing and will overtime warp the flanges even more. Along with that the mill spec of the steel they use is non-existent. That means the qualtiy of steel varies for each manifold and each piece of metal. Now since you are only asking about the manifolds and nothing else I wont get into the quality of the turbo, BOV, WG, or oil lines.

Oh, and if you want pics buy the kit. Then I'll take some pics of everything that broke in your kit and show them to you.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:09 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

better off to buy you a set of BBK shorties flip em over and weld on a T4 flange and make yourself a twin kit, as previously mentioned the ebay twin kit is made of super thin metal, even though the welds look good they will not hold up to the heat that is produced inside them, my pyro reads 11-1250degs at idle 1250 cruzing and 13-1375 WOT, you should really think about what you want with your car and put it all done on paper before you jump into buying parts, especially building a turbo car

if you are looking at an ebay kit you probably shouldnt be building a turbo car, now the bbk flip is a different story can still have a kick *** system with cheaper parts, also dont forget all of the little things, wastegates/BOV/Injectors/Pump/room under the hood for all of this, etc etc, lots more work that you think it is to go turbo

prob better off with a Novi 1000 pushing 12#s
Old 08-08-2008, 04:54 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I know for a fact that the manifolds dont fit, and hit the acessories.. Ive installed one of those kits already.

we stripped everything off the car and sold it when we mounted up the turbos and they were sticking out the engine bay. Do I have pics.. nope... kinda just happened across the install at my friends shop... I dont keep my digi in my back pocket

so hows about you put them on there, and take the pics... and prove me wrong
Old 08-08-2008, 07:42 PM
jaimeson

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

I know for a fact that the manifolds dont fit, and hit the acessories.. Ive installed one of those kits already.

we stripped everything off the car and sold it when we mounted up the turbos and they were sticking out the engine bay. Do I have pics.. nope... kinda just happened across the install at my friends shop... I dont keep my digi in my back pocket

so hows about you put them on there, and take the pics... and prove me wrong
cool cool, looked at the treadstone headers vs the "ebay headers" looked to be about the same height. guess not. looked at the BBK shorties, I could see this for a single kit but they would have less clearance than the ebay headers flipped. I am doing a full fab, just looking for some headers to not have to fab myself, the rest is simple. Talk to the guys at treadstone, they should be rolling out some cast iron twin manifolds soon

Quick Reply: ebay twin turbo headers