5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

T5....Do any of these parts need replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Gun Jam

Default T5....Do any of these parts need replacing?

Hello

I have my t5 out. its a 93 with 330 FtLb rating and .63 OD

First off I need to replace the tail shaft bushing..any suggestions on how to get that out?

Now

The t5 has been working well but first gear has pressure on it like im moving but im not (dead stop). At 5-7 mph it slides right into 1st no effort... above 10 its more difficult at 13-16 mph it grinds...

It pops out of reverse if you let the clutch all the way out (dont have to stomp on it)

all other gears work flawless

it does not whine or hum

Look at these huge pictures and let me know if see any issues...It looks pretty good to me but I don't know exactly what to look for.

Thanks

-Gun

Old 12-20-2008, 04:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

alot of the synchronizer teeth that are built onto the gear hubs look worn and 5th gear and it's brass blocker ring looks worn pretty bad....as for not bing able to shift into first below a certain speed, the rules of the road dictate that you shift into first after coming to a stop also one of the slider hubs looks kinda chewed up, however it's hard to tell the order as the pics are all close up a pic of a little further back might help
Old 12-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Gun Jam

it shifts into 1st better at 7 mph (very little effort) than at dead stop (3x more effort than all other gears).

Replacing 1-2 /3-4 & 5th syncs and all blockers would be the way to go then? Do I have to replace the gears too or just the part of the sync / blocker piece under the gear?

Thanks for your help!

-Gun
Old 12-20-2008, 07:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no , you'd have to replace gears as synchro hub is built on to them, with all the worn and semi-damaged parts I see in there it is not gonna be cost effective to replace all worn parts, it'd be cheaper to buy a tranny ready to go
Old 12-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Gun Jam

what would happen if I got the rebuild kit and replaced all the stuff but the gears. The gears are harder then the syncs or blockers and should wear slower right?

-Gun
Old 12-20-2008, 07:23 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Your problem may still exist if you do that, do you know what your looking at in there??? the teeth/ synchronizers that are built on to some of the gears are all mushroomed and mot pointy, compare them to some of the other gears with less wear, the problem it'll cause or give is unclean and non crisp shifts......1 st and 2nd if the bottom pic is the back of the case look really worn = synchro teeth
Old 12-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Gun Jam

I dont know exactly what im looking at but now I do see what your talking about (and im a fast learner) so its starting to come together.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:49 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you can try to just put a rebuild kit and blocker rings in but usually what are hammered in the t-5's are the slider for 1st to 2nd, 2nd and 3rd gears and sometimes the input depending on how many 3 rd to 4th misses shifts happen, Imo once you have damage on that many parts it often is not cost effective to redo a t-5
Old 12-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Gun Jam

everything ran pretty decent. With a rebuild kit and a new 1st gear im pretty confidant that it would perform fine.
other than a worn tail shaft bushing...excess force on 1st was the only real issue. The rebuild kit and the gear would take care of that.

Ill weigh my options and see what happens. I might just replace the bushing and be done with it

thanks again for your help.

-Gun
Old 12-20-2008, 08:03 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

wow, shes looks pretty worn out! you'll probably solve your problems temporarily with new blocker rings but if you did a rebuild and new syncros...you'd be throwing your money away. with that much wear i'd almost look at getting a better lookin t-5 or upgrade to a 3550 or TKO.

Quick Reply: T5....Do any of these parts need replacing?