5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

28oz or 50oz balance

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:43 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

I've been waiting for Woodsy and Portmaster to blow a gasket with one another, looks like they're on their way. Sure makes for some good reading though! Portmaster, you better pack a lunch!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by woodsy
Yep do 1 thing great, instead of 10 things hacked up. On a lighter note, why dont I ever see you at the real technical boards that are in depth regarding engine building, machining etc etc? No need to reply, I know the answer already. Still waiting on your dyno sheet Feel free to email it jim (at) fordstrokers.com Have a great night!
I know for a fact that you blow it out the rear on occasion just like everyone else. Good maybe, Great? I don't think so. What technical boards are you refering ? I'm only recently retired and I wasn't on the internet that much as I was hands on in my shop. My customer stood riight in front of me so I didn't get much time to web surf. As far as the dyno sheet you will have to hold on a little while longer. I havent been back in the shop since before Christmas. I've been enjoying my family while I have a good many of my kids down for the holidays. Pardon me for not bowing down to your beck and call. As far as what you know about me it's all just speculation. How in the world you build all these engines and spend so much time on technical boards, your website and here (and others I suspect) all I can say is you must really get with the program. While guys like you that put themselves on thier self indulgent thrones, it's guys like me that were installing some of your stroker kits.

You are under the misconception that just because a person doesn't specialize in just one thing that they must not be any good at it. I guess guys like Don Garlits, Richard Petty, Bill Jenkins, Austin Coil who built the cars, the engines, the driveline and drove them to victory were hacks compared to a guy who builds windsor engines? While I certainly don't rank myself with those guys I held my own for some years. It is possible to do more than one thing and do it well. The automotive industry has become so complex that it's time for people to specialize. But just because you can't hack it on more than one thing you shouldn't knock those who can.

Thats said I'm absolutly sure you know more about Windsor motors that I do.I don't agree with everything you say but I know you know enough that I listen to what you say. I'm more of a Big Block Chevy guy which is more my forte. But I can still build about anything from balancer bolt to lugnut and go out and win races with it. The best thing is that I didn't spend 1/2 my life on internet forums. I was right out there spending my time doing what I loved to do from the time I was old enough to stand over a pan of 104 octane gas washing parts (yes thats scary when I think back on it) until the day I couldn't do it any more full time. I've probably forgotten more about total car building than you will ever know.

I would actually think that a guy that makes his living over the internet would know better than to get caught up in petty squabbles on home territory. My lesson for you today is to **** in the other guys backyard and not your own. Yeah I know just a little about business (not much) as well.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FLcracker9
I've been waiting for Woodsy and Portmaster to blow a gasket with one another, looks like they're on their way. Sure makes for some good reading though! Portmaster, you better pack a lunch!
One thing I learned from being in the automotive business for such a long time is how to keep a cool head and keep things in perspective. You won't see me blow a gasket because I'm a lot more experianced in dealing with people from a one on one standpoint. I have nothing to lose to get in a heated conversation over a disagreement about stroke, cam selection or anything else for that matter. My days of trying to make it are over. I do the things I want to do, like to do and build some stuff of my own. The one thing you will see me do in nearly every post is try to help someone. I don't go into a thread just to try to belittle someone or pick a fight with them. I never get in a battle with the person I'm trying to help just those that disagree with something I say because they are looking for me to say something wrong and run with it.

I make mistakes, plain and simple. I have a desk full of worn out erasers so I'm not perfect nor do I claim to be. I'm not intimidated by these guys nor do I lose any sleep over them. It's easy to be an internet thug and belittle anyone who you think may not possess the same amount of knowledge on one particular subject. I never fell into the trap that so many people do to where they get caught up like a bunch of rats led by the Pied Piper. I see a lot of that around here.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:07 AM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Blah Blah Blah
I am going to bypass all that nonsense you wrote, clearly you like to hear yourself talk which is fine. When you come to a specific brand board and admit your forte is chevys how can you state what you think when you dont have the experience on said brand (3.400 optimal stroke you still havent answered) The last place you will see me is on a chevy board talking small block chevys and what is "optimal". As for spending my life on the internet, do you think I am the only that works at my shop? I employ people which gives me the freedom to roam as I see fit. So in the end, if small block fords are not your forte, becareful what path you lead these guys down, whereas I take it to heart because I have been there and done that and know what works and what doesnt.

No different than when you assumed the original poster had a 4.070 bore block, small fords are not your thing and it shows. Stick to the chevys you are so good at.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I am going to bypass all that nonsense you wrote, clearly you like to hear yourself talk which is fine. When you come to a specific brand board and admit your forte is chevys how can you state what you think when you dont have the experience on said brand (3.400 optimal stroke you still havent answered) The last place you will see me is on a chevy board talking small block chevys and what is "optimal". As for spending my life on the internet, do you think I am the only that works at my shop? I employ people which gives me the freedom to roam as I see fit. So in the end, if small block fords are not your forte, becareful what path you lead these guys down, whereas I take it to heart because I have been there and done that and know what works and what doesnt.

No different than when you assumed the original poster had a 4.070 bore block, small fords are not your thing and it shows. Stick to the chevys you are so good at.
See here is where the differance really is. We both assumed the engine was a 3.400 stroke at first. (unless you went back and changed your post) and I said it would have to be 4.070 to bring it to that cubic inch. I've never in all my life seen a .070 overbore in anything, Chevy Ford or anything else. When he said the crankshaft was wieghted at first and it had a Eagle rotating assembly I came to the conclusion he had some wrong information on his 90 model block. I was trying to clairify what he really had.

I just said the small block ford wasn't my Forte. If you know the definition of the word which means the strongest part. There are some things I'm better at but I'm in no way weak in the area of building them to whatever my customers wanted to a high degree of certainty thay would last. It's just not my favorite engine thats all. As a matter of fact I won my first drag race with a 65 Ford Falcon with a 289 that I built on my bedroom floor. Maybe you should spend more time on quality control than the internet. I can see where your priorities are.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

See here is where the differance really is. We both assumed the engine was a 3.400 stroke at first. (unless you went back and changed your post) and I said it would have to be 4.070 to bring it to that cubic inch. I've never in all my life seen a .070 overbore in anything, Chevy Ford or anything else. When he said the crankshaft was wieghted at first and it had a Eagle rotating assembly I came to the conclusion he had some wrong information on his 90 model block. I was trying to clairify what he really had.

I just said the small block ford wasn't my Forte. If you know the definition of the word which means the strongest part. There are some things I'm better at but I'm in no way weak in the area of building them to whatever my customers wanted to a high degree of certainty thay would last. It's just not my favorite engine thats all. As a matter of fact I won my first drag race with a 65 Ford Falcon with a 289 that I built on my bedroom floor. Maybe you should spend more time on quality control than the internet. I can see where your priorities are.
Ok I gotta stop posting and get back to quality control, while you should get back to the chevys you adore, because you are not a ford guy and will continue to lead ford enthusiasts on a ford only site down the wrong path. To anyone reading this, contact portmaster for a subpar ford engine build, he will take care of you.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Ok I gotta stop posting and get back to quality control, while you should get back to the chevys you adore, because you are not a ford guy and will continue to lead ford enthusiasts on a ford only site down the wrong path. To anyone reading this, contact portmaster for a subpar ford engine build, he will take care of you.
I couldn't have said better than if I were 10 years old. Your true personality is really starting to surface, but hey I can do this all day because these guys arn't buying stuff from me. It's your dime so keep talking

Who said I wasnt a "Ford guy"? I just said I like Big Block Chevys. I'm not a one camp bar nothing else person. I like Big Block Chevys because you can build a tremendous amount of power for a resonable amount of money. I've always been a fan of Mustangs. I'm just not going to throw a 540 Merlin down in one. I like Mopars as well and God forbid some AMC stuff (gasp!!!!). Your problem is you assume to much, flaunt what little you do know and try to belittle people with the little bit you do know. I'm sorry you have such limited skills that you make yourself feel good this way. Let see I own 2 Mustangs an F-150, Chevy 1500, Chevy Nova(awaiting build) and a Dodge Caravan. Now tell me again what kind of car guy I am again? I also own a Honda Valkyrie and a Electra-Glide so am I a Harley or Honda guy? Am I just resticted to liking just one brand? Building just one brand?
Old 12-30-2008, 12:58 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

I am heeding your advice, I need to re-evaluate my limited skills and knowledge. Thanks again
Old 12-30-2008, 01:38 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

". , do you think I am the only that works at my shop? I employ people which gives me the freedom to roam as I see fit. .
Actually , yes that is what I thought.....or at least you and one other guy the last time I talked to you..........so your engines are no longer personalized???
Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Still curious what you think is an 'optimal' stroke... and what you consider the downsides to the very popular 347

As far as what's optimal. Just depends on what you are building. To me 3.40 is a stretch. Just not optimal to go deeper down the already limited space. Just not cost effective for 7 cubic inches.
Are you saying that ALL the 347's out there are less than optimal?

What would be an optimal stroke?

What are the downsides/negatives to going with the 'less than optimal 3.400" stroke'???

Quick Reply: 28oz or 50oz balance