5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EFI or Carb

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:34 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 92hatchLX
Who wants to race my lame car?

BTW if you've got the cash EFI. If not save up the money and keep it EFI.
thank you, nothing like popping the hood on bad *** car and seeing the original efi layout
Old 01-20-2009, 01:17 AM
rcdblink716
3rd Gear Member

runnin a carb on mine currently for cost, but as soon as I can afford to do so I will go efi. More HP, tunability, driveability, fuel mileage. The list is endless. Computer controlled fuel is better.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:51 PM
91lx50udlose
2nd Gear Member

NO way the fuel injection is going to get him more hp, also tunability is a joke everybody knows that car will have to be tuned by somebody good and it will cost him alot i know here they charge $565 for 1 hour plus them tune it
Carbed it will no doubt make more power than efi and if he went efi he is going to hate life when sensors go bad and it bucks and hesitates and misses and he has to pull his hair out to find whats wrong
My suggestion is duraspark distributor & ign. box edelbrock air gap intake and holley 750
Old 01-20-2009, 01:04 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 91lx50udlose
NO way the fuel injection is going to get him more hp, also tunability is a joke everybody knows that car will have to be tuned by somebody good and it will cost him alot i know here they charge $565 for 1 hour plus them tune it
Carbed it will no doubt make more power than efi and if he went efi he is going to hate life when sensors go bad and it bucks and hesitates and misses and he has to pull his hair out to find whats wrong
My suggestion is duraspark distributor & ign. box edelbrock air gap intake and holley 750
again what says it has to be tuned? my car runs great makes as much power as the average 347 with NO tuning
Old 01-20-2009, 02:41 PM
symonds86
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by primetime5.0
thank you, nothing like popping the hood on bad *** car and seeing the original efi layout
well the stock look wont happen with either set up because of the vic jr efi intake i have, and with the maf, tb and injector being so much bigger than stock im sure tuning will be needed to get the most from it and have it run good. thanks for your opinions though keep em coming
Old 01-20-2009, 03:32 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

my 2 cents, if its daily drivin and you have the money then keep the efi, if its a fun car and your on a budget then carb it, benefits i see on my carbed setup are way better throttle response, more power, cost half as much to build, yea i lost 2mpg but im willing to deal with that as i squeeze the skinny pedal! no idel issues, cleaner, easier to modify, super simple to work on.benefits of efi, cold weather driveability is better, slightly better mpg thats all i see! not to mention if you carb it the car is gonna lose some poundage too, between the wiring harness and the efi parts that stuff has some weight to it. and we all know taking weight off the nose is a good thing. good luck
Old 01-20-2009, 03:45 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Who says you have to take it to a tuner? You can use a stand alone system and learn to tune it yourself. Can someone explain to me why you would make more power with a carbed system?
Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Alex-7
2nd Gear Member

I personally HATE carbs.

I have a 600 Holley DP on my RX-7 and have never been happy with it. Never runs quite right, starves under hard left hand G loads, floods easily etc. Gonna convert it to stand alone EFI as soon as pos.

+1 to anyone who said carbs are lame
Old 01-20-2009, 04:08 PM
symonds86
3rd Gear Member

its a summer toy i drive it 60% of the time in the summer. both have there advantages and disadvantages. and when set up properly both can run great and make good power, but i am on a budget and i though about going carbed to cut cost. i am a mechanic for a living so working on either system isn't hard for me to do. But after a day spent at work chasing a problem on efi cars, doing test after test to narrow it down. it is a releif sometimes to adjust a carb and have a car running like a top in no time. im still in the air on this though
Old 01-20-2009, 05:25 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I run a carburetor. As far as that cam you have, you say it was designed for EFI and stuff. It will work fine with your carbed set up. Sell all your EFI parts to those on the band wagons and buy yourself a good carburetor and intake.

Quick Reply: EFI or Carb