5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

19lb or 24lb injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:27 AM
stockmonster

hey notchsmack, so i have heard of using an explorer intake manifold instead of droping hundreds on something else, so does it really work? did u port and polish?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:51 AM
flyin ryan

stock 19lb injectors (0range) are good up until the 280hp mark normally which with your mods your not at yet so you don't really need the 24's yet but any other mods will prob put you close enough where it would be a good idea.

i've put 24's on a car without upgrading the pump but again something taht'll need to be addressed down the route with some other mods.

explorer intake is virtually the same as a cobra or gt40 tubular intake flow wise just uglier and no fancy cobra plate on top. Many use this intake with gt40 iron heads also from an explorer and make good power without spending much money at all just a trip to the junkyard. There are two versions of the explorer intake though, one with provisions for sensors and egr and one without (you have to drill/tap what you need etc)
Old 01-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Rumblefrog
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aode08
Make sure the MAF is calibrated for 24lb Injectors.

2. Make sure the MAF is clocked at 12 o clock. That meens straight up , not sideways.
What happens if your MAF is sideways? I've run mine sideways for years.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Rumblefrog
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flyin ryan
stock 19lb injectors (0range) are good up until the 280hp mark normally which with your mods your not at yet so you don't really need the 24's yet but any other mods will prob put you close enough where it would be a good idea.

i've put 24's on a car without upgrading the pump but again something taht'll need to be addressed down the route with some other mods.

explorer intake is virtually the same as a cobra or gt40 tubular intake flow wise just uglier and no fancy cobra plate on top. Many use this intake with gt40 iron heads also from an explorer and make good power without spending much money at all just a trip to the junkyard. There are two versions of the explorer intake though, one with provisions for sensors and egr and one without (you have to drill/tap what you need etc)

I've wondered about the injector upgrade myself; I have no idea what kind of power I'm putting out. I have a stock Ford Racing 5.0 shortblock with AFR165 heads, E303 Cam, 1.7 roller rockers, GT40 intake and headers. Should I be stepping up to the 24s?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:47 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rumblefrog
I've wondered about the injector upgrade myself; I have no idea what kind of power I'm putting out. I have a stock Ford Racing 5.0 shortblock with AFR165 heads, E303 Cam, 1.7 roller rockers, GT40 intake and headers. Should I be stepping up to the 24s?
You're there. 24-30 would be suitable for you.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:51 AM
flyin ryan

Originally Posted by PJC Racing
You're there. 24-30 would be suitable for you.
I agree
Old 02-14-2009, 12:03 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

You guys that are running the stock injectors still and have done some minor or major H/C/I upgrades would be surprised at the difference at even a set of rebuilt and cleaned set 19# injectors. I took mine off the other day and swapped them for 36's and the old ones were covered in **** and two of the pintle caps were busted and rubbing against the pin that goes up and down to allow fuel to escape the injectors. I now have a set of 36# 4-hole Ford Racing high performance injectors and with my Pro-M MAF recal'd I gained a HUGE SOTP difference. My new performance and driveability is phenominal! So back to you guys that haven't upgraded, I would definitely do it. Remember your injectors are 15-21 years old, there's a lot that can ruin an injector in that time and the filter baskets are probably clogged anyways.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:09 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dudeboy
I would go 24's in order to accomodate future plans. Probably overkill for now though.

When you say you upgraded the MAF, what do you mean? The 93 came with factory MAF...

calfroper -
Post ALL the details on the MAF your friend purchased. Pics will help...
Hope he didn't buy a '93 Cobra MAF....

jason
He means when you change injectors, the mass air flow sensor needs to be re calibrated so it knows the injector size. Or, he can just buy one that is ready for 24's.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:11 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rumblefrog
If I were you i would get 30# injectors so there is more room for modifications. But 19s are far too small. Get a 255lph fuel pump while you're at it and a n20 kit
Old 02-21-2009, 10:42 PM
enoughsaid
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by calfroper_06
he said the one he got was calibrated for 24's, got it oreillys so idk
Who makes this maf? I am pretty sure the only maf that they are going to be able to get you is a cobra maf, which is calibrated for 24's. If he only got the sensor, that would be off of a cobra too. The problem is the cobra runs a different eec so this maf won't talk right with your buddies. That might be his bucking problem.

Quick Reply: 19lb or 24lb injectors?