5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

88gt smoke coming from under upper intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

Default 88gt smoke coming from under upper intake

being a rookie, i'm sure i've made a big rookie &*%$ up. in a different thread i was asking about intake bolt sizes to put a spacer in. long story short, i broke a bolt in the lower intake that i was not able to get out so i had to re-tap the hole to 3/8's from 5/16th's. which in turn, had to make the hole on the upper intake larger to accomd. it drove fine last night but today, i'm noticing smoke coming from under the upper intake. car drives fine. the smoke seems to be only coming out when the car is running and is intermittent (not constant, goes and stops every few seconds). does not change when the throttle is open wider. there was oils and wd40 that was used when trying to get the bolt out of the lower intake. which i'm hoping thats all it is. did i royally *&^% up or could this just be some stuff burning off. i cannot see the source exacltly, just looks like its coming under the upper intake.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

just double checked to see if it would come out when the car was off. it doesnt. the car was warm and started once the car started. i shut the car off and the smoke stopped. its not alot of smoke but a concern amount. there is one other thing that i've noticed differently once everything was put back, and hats this suction, vacuum, whirling noise that goes for a second once the car is turned off. one of the tubes coming from the intake isnt connected to anything. the end has a plastic piece on it with a ball type device that opens and closes (seems like) when disassembling, i didnt notice this pluged into anything. the sound sounds like its coming from this mounted box that has a few other tubes in it, which one goes/comes from the intake, its not the vacuum distributor tree, its the box next to it. a diagram says it is the barometric absolute pressure sensor (or something near it, its connected to the firewall with i think 3 tubes) sorry with my low knowledge of part names

Last edited by j-wigg; 03-08-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

well what's done is done but why didn't you just drill hole out and install a 5/16's helicoil???.....make sure no fluid is laying on lower intae..ie puddled up from repair
Old 03-08-2009, 06:53 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

yea its definately done now, lol. well now that i know about helicoils, those look to be a great thing. ok well, if it is the upper intake that may be destroyed (the 3/8's hole being too much of a drill out) would it hurt to get one of those helicoils to fit a new upper intake. on a side note, when the bolt broke off, i was trying to use a easy out, which also broke off in the predrilled hole of the bolt i was trying to remove, so that carbon alloy easyout, is a pain to try getting out. in fact, it didnt come out. what i was able to do at the time was get the hole deep enough to retap a few threads. so that the new 3/8's bolt can grab onto. just wondering how much i can actually drill out on the lower intake before really destroying that also. i know i cant go too deep. theres maybe about 1/2" that is available before that easyout bolt starts to get hit. is there anything stronger that can drill out the carbon alloy easy out and maybe get a deeper hole to put in a helicoil then just a new upper intake? obviously if i have to replace the intakes, thats ok. plans were to eventually do so, just not on my schedule to do so this soon.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:21 PM
wowvfast
2nd Gear Member

any pics?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:28 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by j-wigg
yea its definately done now, lol. well now that i know about helicoils, those look to be a great thing. ok well, if it is the upper intake that may be destroyed (the 3/8's hole being too much of a drill out) would it hurt to get one of those helicoils to fit a new upper intake. on a side note, when the bolt broke off, i was trying to use a easy out, which also broke off in the predrilled hole of the bolt i was trying to remove, so that carbon alloy easyout, is a pain to try getting out. in fact, it didnt come out. what i was able to do at the time was get the hole deep enough to retap a few threads. so that the new 3/8's bolt can grab onto. just wondering how much i can actually drill out on the lower intake before really destroying that also. i know i cant go too deep. theres maybe about 1/2" that is available before that easyout bolt starts to get hit. is there anything stronger that can drill out the carbon alloy easy out and maybe get a deeper hole to put in a helicoil then just a new upper intake? obviously if i have to replace the intakes, thats ok. plans were to eventually do so, just not on my schedule to do so this soon.
they make a special tool to remove broken easy outs, PM pro50sc he had a link to them, as for the intake, I have repaired aluminum intakes before, tig welder will do it, then you just file the surface level and redrill and tap the hole, BTSTDT
Old 03-08-2009, 07:33 PM
wowvfast
2nd Gear Member

extraction rod
Old 03-08-2009, 07:39 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

no pics. its the middle bolt on the passenger side. would the repairing of the intake be needed for fixing the hole. i dont have a welder and not really looking to invest into one right now, i'd rather just replace the manifold. i was looking at some drill bits out there. looks like there is a diamond bit that suppose to be able to go through just about anything. i was thinking if i had to drill out about 9/16's hole (to make sure the hole is solid), i could use one of the helicoils to be able to mount down a new/used upper intake. being that its hard to see exactly where the smoke is coming from, i think maybe my best start is to make sure all the vacuum lines are secure underneath, or even replace them. like i said the car still drives like a stock champ. can this cause engine damage? thats the absolute last thing i wanna do. looking around at some new intakes, man they would look good on my car.

how about that noise when the car is shutting off?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:40 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

extraction rod??
Old 03-08-2009, 08:26 PM
symonds86
3rd Gear Member

what intake ya running? i have a stock one i'll let go cheap if ya need

Quick Reply: 88gt smoke coming from under upper intake