5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

347 build thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:26 AM
devyl

Default 347 build thoughts

Well, the AOD tranny took a dump on me about two months ago, and I've decided to take the time to build my first 347 from the 302 that's in the car. Here's my list of products i'm using, and I'd like any opinions on my build:

Things I've bought so far:

Crank: SCAT Series 9000 lightweight crank with 3.4 stroke, 5.4 rod length, and 2.123 pin (been on backorder for a month!)

Rods: SCAT forged 5.4 rods, bushed

Pistons: Keith Black forged FHR pistons, flat w/ 4 valve reliefs

King main bearings

Clevite rod & cam bearings

Proform electric water pump

Summit high-torque starter

ARP main, intake manifold, oil pan, distributor, thermostat housing, header, water pump, valve cover, alternator bracket, motor mount, coil bracket, fuel pump, and front cover bolts

Things I'm looking at buying:

World Windsor Sr. cast iron heads
Proform roller rockers
Cloyes timing gear set
ARP head studs
BBK SSI performance intake manifold
42# injectors
BBK 75mm throttle body
Vortech Maxflow MAF for 42# injectors

Does this look like a good setup for a 347? It's a semi-budget build, so price is a decent factor. Also, which transmission would you choose? Manual or automatic?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:51 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't go to the trouble of building a 347 and put those heads on it. Granted, you're on a budget and they're better than stock, but you'll end up with a 347 that makes no more power than most of the h/c/i 302's on this site. If you're not afraid to invest in some good heads, TEA ported Twisted Wedge 185's. Or you could get a set of like AFR 185's or Edelbrock's RPM XT's. Dart also makes good heads. You really need a good breathing head with a good chamber to make a 347 run the way it should.

I've also heard of a lot of problems with that BBK intake as well. It's hard to go wrong with something like an Edelbrock intake, but an EFI 347 I couldn't tell you for sure, other guys around here could though.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

If I were you I would buy a complete rotating assembly or assembled shortblock from CHP, DSS or Fordstrokers. By the time you pay for machine work and balancing you will come out betterbuying an assembled shortblock
I'd pass on the Windsor Sr's on a 347. It's a good head but it doesn't flow well enough for a stout 347. The casting is pretty dated.

I'd pass on the Proform electric water pump or any electric pump for that matter. There isn't that much drag created by a water pump and for street duty it's hard to beat. I leave the electric pumps for drag cars or limited street cars.

There are way better choices than Proform roller rockers. Here is where an extra 50 dollars is money well spent on a set of better rockers.

Unless I had the SSI intake already I'd move into a better intake like the RPMII.

I see no mention as to what Cam you are thinking of.

You need to back up, regroup and come up with a better plan
Old 04-21-2009, 12:30 PM
devyl

Originally Posted by Portmaster
If I were you I would buy a complete rotating assembly or assembled shortblock from CHP, DSS or Fordstrokers. By the time you pay for machine work and balancing you will come out betterbuying an assembled shortblock
I'd pass on the Windsor Sr's on a 347. It's a good head but it doesn't flow well enough for a stout 347. The casting is pretty dated.

I'd pass on the Proform electric water pump or any electric pump for that matter. There isn't that much drag created by a water pump and for street duty it's hard to beat. I leave the electric pumps for drag cars or limited street cars.

There are way better choices than Proform roller rockers. Here is where an extra 50 dollars is money well spent on a set of better rockers.

Unless I had the SSI intake already I'd move into a better intake like the RPMII.

I see no mention as to what Cam you are thinking of.

You need to back up, regroup and come up with a better plan

Thanks for the info. Actually, a guy who owns a machine shop owes me a favor, so all the machine work will be done on everything for $100. Too good of a deal to pass up

What head would you recommend? I know AFR's & Trick Flows are the best, but the budget for heads is a slight thing. What about ported GT40's? As for cams, I was thinking a good beefy Lunati in the .500 intake/exhaust range. Once again, what do you think?

I've been hearing a lot of the BBK intake mani not being too hot, but from reviews I've read online, it seems to be performing on the same level as the Trick Flow Track Heat, plus free high-flow fuel rails are nice
Old 04-21-2009, 01:13 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Ported GT40's will suffocate a 347.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:34 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

If your on a budget, you can look into the Pro Comp heads. Most folks say they are junk, but they work for me. I ran the time in my sig with only 9* initial timing and with a vacuum carb also. I run Comps XFI236HR cam. I also hear good things about the Comps XE line of cams also.