5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Is this normal? Reguarding transgo shift kit.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 04:44 PM
RedStang92

Exclamation Is this normal? Reguarding transgo shift kit.

92 mustang gt aod:

well i just got my car back from being at the shop for 2 days.

when im driving normal it shifts higher then before, like between 2500 and 3000ish rpms but i figured that would be normal.

the part i dont get and all is that when i WOT, the car dosent shift unless i let off the gas.. and it makes no sense.

i called them and was like wtf? the guy told me that it dont shift cuz its gettin all the power out of the moter.. but makes no sence cuz after like 5000 or 5500 it is like is losing power, and he ended up sayin well come back tomorrow and we will take it for a drive.

please help, lmao
Old 04-28-2009, 05:59 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Your transmission should shift under load, not when you let off the throttle. Have them test drive it, and see what they say. It should shift crisp and firm under acceleration, with no pause or slippage. Was the transmission functioning normal before the kit was installed?. A shift kit will not cure a damaged transmission, it usually makes it worse.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM
84conversion50
2nd Gear Member

sounds like the tv cable is out of adjustment
Old 04-29-2009, 06:00 AM
RedStang92

there was nothing wrong wit the transmission before the kit was put on, and its got 106k miles on it, the guy even said it loked in good shape.

i jus dont get it cuz even if i have it on od or drive and im cruisin normal then i WOT it, it downshifts then accelerated and then all of a sudden i gotta let off the gas to shift it shifts then i accelerate and it like downshifts again.. i dont get it.. im going there later today, but i definatly dont kno wut the guy ment by saying it bangs cuz **** dont even shift. Lol..
Old 04-29-2009, 04:42 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Let us know what they say. If it worked fine before, it sounds like they did something wrong?
AODs can be a PITA, but the Transgo kit is one of the better kits. They do have a help line you can call

http://transgo.com/contact.php
Old 04-29-2009, 07:47 PM
RedStang92

well today i went to the shop and i was driving with the guy in the car and showed him what i ment, but he said he dosent know. he showed me the instructions to the kit and my old parts and explained what he did and he didnt kno why its doing what its doing, then i asked him about a cable adjust and he said well wit aod it dont really adjust good but he did tweak it a lil cuz before it shifted really high, and im thinkin well it still shifts high considering it dont shift from 1-2 till about 2500-3000 then it dont shift from 2-3 till i hit about 47mph.

but he said come back tomorrow when the owner is there they will see if they can adjust it more and, he said if he came across another valve body hed let me know. and i will be contacting transgo tomorrow to see if they have any suggestions, thanks for the link. but other then that idk wut to do.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:54 PM
84conversion50
2nd Gear Member

the tv cable is a critical adjustment and must be within close spec otherwise your tranny will not shift correctly and will burn it up. it sounds exactly like the problems your having.
if your mechanically inclined you can do this.

FORD AOD Automatic Overdrive
LIFT TAB TYPE-TV CABLE ADJUSTMENT

IMPORTANT: The AOD transmission may feel like it is shifting at the right time when the TV cable is actually way off! The transmission will work for a while and then FAIL! It is critical that you learn to set the TV exactly like this paper says. Why?
So that you will "see" how it works, know that it's right and not be fiddling with it for an hour, when and if you have some other problem.

1. Lift tab up to unlock adjustment assembly.
2. Have someone floorboard the accelerator pedal from inside the vehicle.
While the pedal is floored, push on the throttle body arm to make sure it's bottomed against its stop (wide open). (Adjust throttle cable, if necessary).
3. While the throttle is floorboarded, lock the tab on TV adjuster.
4. Make scratch with hacksaw blade or knife up tight against the adjustment assembly. This is the MAX TV mark.
5. Unlock the tab and slide housing towards bare cable 5/16" and lock tab. You can use a 5/16" bolt as a gauge. Make another mark up tight against adjustment assembly. This is the MIN TV mark.
6. Make another mark midway between MAX and MIN. This is MID-mark.
7. Adjust to MID-mark CI and road test.

ROAD TEST
In manual "3" it must have 3-2 kickdown at 50 mph (passenger cars).
CARB AND THROTTLE BODY INJECTOR MODELS: Seem to work best with setting
between MIN and MID.
PORT INJECTION MODELS (Standard): Start with a setting just under MID.
HIGH OUTPUT Port injection models: Start with setting just a hair over MID
Adding TV to attempt to correct pinging, chugging or lugging won't work. It Just causes thumps, bumps and extra wear. Set the TV so that the shifts are smooth and not late.

BLOCK TYPE-TV CABLE ADJUSTMENT

IMPORTANT: The AOD transmission may feel like it is shifting at the right time when the TV cable is actually way off! The transmission will work for a while and then FAIL! It is critical that you learn to set the TV exactly like this paper says. Why?
So that you will "see" how it works, know that it's right and not be fiddling with it for an
hour, when and if you have some other problem.
1. Pull/push TV cable and block assembly out of throttle arm rubber grommet.
2. Have someone floorboard accelerator pedal from inside the car.
While the pedal is floored, push on the throttle body arm to make sure it's bottomed
(wide open) against its stop. (Adjust throttle cable, if necessary.)
3. Push the locking tab up through the adjustment block, with a pocket screwdriver, so that the locking tab is standing up next to clevis pin as shown in the picture.
4. While someone is holding' the throttle pedal floorboarded:
Pull the cable rail HARD towards the end of the cable with one hand, at the same time engage the clevis firmly into the throttle arm grommet.
Engaging the clevis automatically locks the tab by pushing it into the block.
5. Pull the block adjustment assembly out of the grommet:
Make a mark, on the rail, with a hacksaw blade or knife up against adjustment block.
This is the MAX TV mark.
6. Make another mark 5/16" from the max mark out on the rail. (Use a 5/16 pan bolt for a gauge.) This is MIN TV mark.
7. Make another mark midway between MAX mark and MIN mark. This mark is
average or MID-mark.
8. Unlock the adjustment tab. Set on MID-mark and lock tab. (Push it down into block.)
Install into throttle arm grommet and road test.

ROAD TEST
In manual "3", must have 3-2 kickdown at 50 mph (passenger cars).
CARB AND THROTTLE BODY INJECTOR MODELS: Seems to work best with
setting between MIN and MID.
PORT INJECTIONI MODELS(Standard): Start with a setting just under MID.
HIGH OUTPUT Port injection models: Start with setting just a hair over MID.

ROD TYPE-TV ADJUSTMENT

1. Remove the air cleaner. Have someone floor the gas pedal from inside the car while you bend the THROTTLE cable bracket until the butterfly arm bottoms solidly on it's stop.
2. Turn the adjustment screw IN until 13 threads are sticking out the front of the adjuster arm. (Approx. 7/16")
3. Start the engine with the AIR OFF and leave it OFF.
4. While the engine is idling, loosen the adjustment bolt on the arm on the side of the transmission with a 13mm socket one full turn. Push the arm up (towards the top of the vehicle) and gently tighten the bolt.
5. Now go back to the top adjustment and back off 13 turns.
6. Now ROAD TEST. Place the selector in the '3' position and cruise at 45 mph. Floor the throttle, you will have no 3-2 kickdown. Turn the adjuster screw in exactly one turn at a time until you have kickdown at 45 mph. Then, turn the screw in 3 more turns. You will be in the middle of the TV adjustment.
7. Now ROAD TEST for shift feel and timing. You can adjust in or out up to 2 turns to improve shift quality.
8. Replace the air cleaner.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:51 PM
RedStang92

well i called transgo support and talked to a guy name mark, he at first was telling me that they had to of put it in wrong for it not to shift cuz wit the high rev governor it should shift at 5000-5500 rpms, then i told him about the late shifts, and he questioned me about my gears and i told him i still had stock gears, which i believe is 2.73s, either way the kit is designed for 3.73s. He said that could be the reason as to why my car will not shift WOT at 5k, or as to why my shift rpms are so high, but he did tell me before i warry about spending more money that i should go back to the shop and have them call transgo and ask for him and that he will have them run some tests and so and do whatever he can to help me fix my car and make it run good. thanks for the imput everyone and ill let you guys know what happens tomorrow when i go to the shop.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:22 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

You can overcomplicate the TV adjustment, when it's relatively simple. I like the Badshoe (Ken Collins) series of DVDs that cover Ford products. I own several (AOD, C4 and 8.8 videos). Here's a link to his TV cable adjustment video. You are better to error on the high side, as too much TV pressure won't hurt your tranny, but too little and it will be toast. I actually use a pressure guage to set mine, because mine's converted to carb, and doesn't have the factory cable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw
Old 05-01-2009, 05:56 AM
RedStang92

Originally Posted by FLcracker9
You can overcomplicate the TV adjustment, when it's relatively simple. I like the Badshoe (Ken Collins) series of DVDs that cover Ford products. I own several (AOD, C4 and 8.8 videos). Here's a link to his TV cable adjustment video. You are better to error on the high side, as too much TV pressure won't hurt your tranny, but too little and it will be toast. I actually use a pressure guage to set mine, because mine's converted to carb, and doesn't have the factory cable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw
thanks, but ill report whats new when i get home from the tranny shop later

Quick Reply: Is this normal? Reguarding transgo shift kit.