5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sputtering and backfire Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:08 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Default Sputtering and backfire Help please!

I just installed a GT-40 cobra upper and lower on my car. Took it out for its maiden voyage and popped the coolent hose right off of the thermostat elbow. I can remember if this problem started before i blew the hose off or right after. Im thinking right after because I remember it running fine when I first took it out. Anyway...between 1500 and 2500-3000 rpm the car sputters like its running on 7 cylinders or less. It does it about half throttle or so, or going up a hill throughout the rpm range. But when I go WOT she runs like a top. It will sputter ill go WOT and once it hits 3000 it will take off. What could be my problem here? Could the coolent being sprayed all over from the hose screw with a few of my electrical connections? Ive pulled the distributor cap and cleaned all in there. Wiped all the coolent off around the engine bay. So what could this be, could this also be vacumn related?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:17 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Anything Guys?
Old 05-04-2009, 05:54 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

id make sure that there is no loose spark plugs or wires. Check the distributor cap terminals and the button on the underside of cap. Also, check that the metal tab on top of rotor isn't bent down making a bad connection and check all vacuum hoses. Just some ideas...
Old 05-04-2009, 07:22 PM
turbosha
3rd Gear Member

sounds like ignition modual got wet
Old 05-04-2009, 10:25 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

I cleaned out the distributor, and its been 2 days since this started happening, shouldnt everything have dryed out by now? I saw some coolent sitting ontop of the coil but I cleaned all that off and cleaned the connector. Could I have fouled a plug some how? And wouldnt bad vacumn cause my idle to be screwed up? When I downshift and let the car slow down, it has the gurguly popping backfire sound to it as well. So im guessing this is definatly a spark issue and not fuel.

Jay
Old 05-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Stangnsnow2
2nd Gear Member

im having a similar issue. i have changed out distributors ignition modules, coil, wires plugs, i cant figure out what is going on so im changing my o2 sensors to see if that might be causeing the problem
Old 05-05-2009, 05:31 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

I ripped apart my whole distributor last night and cleaned everything and its still doing it. What I dont get is why it only sputters sometimes and it doesnt do it at full throttle. Also if it starts to spudder ill take my foot off the gas real quick then apply it again heavily and it will stop. Do you think this would be an ignition module? Im going to re do my vacumn lines tommrow as well.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:39 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Check to make sure that you hooked up all your electrical and vacuum lines properly.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:15 PM
fastfoxbody

i agree with NoGo95GT i would check all your vacuum lines it kind of sounds like a vacuum issue by wut your saying
Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 PM
turbosha
3rd Gear Member

did you dissconnect the battery for a while?

Quick Reply: Sputtering and backfire Help please!