5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Door lock key problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:54 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Default Door lock key problems

2 issues...

1) Remote and door lock buttons work on the locks, but the Driver side door does not lock or unlock with the Key. It also won't open from the inside when locked. What's most likely causing this?

2) Also I think im having wiring problems since the driver side door used to only lock/unlock when the door is closed, and not while open (using the remote or switches).

Now it doesn't work at all. bad connection/wiring?
Old 05-16-2009, 02:05 AM
84conversion50
2nd Gear Member

sounds like you have a short in the door harness probably at the rubber boot where it constantly flexes.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:40 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Seized power door lock actuator maybe. I had the one on my drivers door deactivated until I get around to replacing it. Sounds like you are having the exact same symptoms I had. Don't bother trying to get a used one, most are on the brink of seizing due to their age. If that is your problem just get a new one. You'll know it's on the outs when the lock button on the door begins to go up and down half the distance it used to and you have to hit the lock and unlock a few times to get it to do what you want it to. Eventually it won't move at all and the key won't work either...good luck.

Last edited by Baddog; 05-16-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:13 AM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

You can pop the rivet out for the time being and take the actuator out and your lock will work as if it were manual so you can keep locking and unlocking your door.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:04 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5pony0
2 issues...

1) Remote and door lock buttons work on the locks, but the Driver side door does not lock or unlock with the Key. It also won't open from the inside when locked. What's most likely causing this?

2) Also I think im having wiring problems since the driver side door used to only lock/unlock when the door is closed, and not while open (using the remote or switches).

Now it doesn't work at all. bad connection/wiring?
His issue can be a bad door lock button. He mentioned that the drivers side and the remote worked for a while but the ps didnt work. Also it be cheaper and easier to replace a switch than a actuator if he isnt gonna test the parts with a test light.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ryan_89_mustang
You can pop the rivet out for the time being and take the actuator out and your lock will work as if it were manual so you can keep locking and unlocking your door.
Exactly...
Old 05-16-2009, 09:39 AM
92tealcp
1st Gear Member

Default Switch

I have a switch you can have if you want to try. 1992
Old 05-16-2009, 09:48 AM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 84conversion50
sounds like you have a short in the door harness probably at the rubber boot where it constantly flexes.
That could explain why the driver door would only lock/unlock when closed...

How do I fix that? Is it as easy as removing the boot and taping up some frayed wires with electrical tape?
Old 05-16-2009, 09:54 AM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baddog
Exactly...
But even when both doors worked fine with the remote and door switch, the key still didn't turn either way in the driver side, and I couldn't open the door using the handle from the inside when in the locked position.

???
Old 05-16-2009, 09:29 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Ok, so I took off the door panel and had to manually twist part of the actuator to get it moving. Sprayed some WD-40 on it and got it moving again. I can now open and lock the door using the KEY. However the power lock switch and remote still does nothing on the driver side. I'm pretty sure it's a wiring problem, because before the power locks went, it would only work when the door was closed, but wouldn't work when the door was open...not even an inch.

this lock problem seemed to start shortly after getting the door hinges replaced at the shop a while back.

Anyone know how to go about checking it or can point me in the right direction?

Quick Reply: Door lock key problems