5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

High speed vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:39 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Default High speed vibration

I have a vibration in the shifter that gets really bad around 140kph. I have installed 2 new u joints. I think my wheel bearings in the rear may be gone seems a little sloppy but I do not believe this would cause my problem. Something i noticed when i had the drive shaft out is the yoke seems to have a fair bit of play is this normal? I am thinking this could be it because the vibration is a fast vibration like in the rotation of the drive shaft and not the wheels. What do you guys think. How hard is it to change the tailshaft bushing?
Old 06-04-2009, 05:00 PM
kilby94
2nd Gear Member

A while back i had my car on the lift changing the gears in the rear end, and my buddy was whooping on my drive shaft trying to pry it between my mufflers.. Well as soon as i finished the gears i went for a test drive and had a horrible vibration at around 60 mph.. Turns out my jackass buddy ever so slightly dinted my driveshaft.. Could barely even see it, but gave the car a horrible vibration.. So get driveshaft balanced and go from there.. My .02

Richard
Old 06-04-2009, 07:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

make sure no drivetrain components are touching the body
Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 AM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

I have checked for stuff touching the body and everything appears to be in order. I have a new poly trans mount as well so I know its not that. My car always had a shimmy on the highway anyways but nothing serious and it doesn't get worse with speed but the shifter vibration does. Also there is nowhere in my area that i know of that balances driveshafts.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 AM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

I went through every component in the rear end of the vehicle looking for a vibration (trans mount, tail shaft bushing, new rear end bearings, new rear bushings, brakes, u joints, axle bearings) Even jacked the car up took the wheels off the rear and fired it up just to see if it would vibrate. It still did. Finally decided to just buy an aluminum driveshaft and see if that would accomplish anything, what do you know, no more vibration.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:39 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Alright when i jacked my car i put it in 1st and let it run and i noticed the back wheels wobbled. I assume this isn't normal I could feel a bit of play as well but I am not sure if is all up and down because with the in and out movement im thinking it could be deceiving.

I went for a highway ride today as well and noticed the vibration seems to be much worse on deceleration and not quite as bad when accelerating. I should also note that it started vibrating in the last few months so I am thinking it wouldn't be the drive shaft because all of the weights appear to be intact and I haven't damaged it in anyway.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...Check the tires, rotate the fronts to the back for starters...
Old 06-05-2009, 06:34 PM
jayballerboss

Maybe you put your drive shaft on the wrong way I pulled mine off and marked it my buddy put it back on and did not have the drive shaft in the same positon and it did the same thing I put it on the hoist noticed it and put it on correct what you know no vibration and at 90-140mph it was horrible you would think it was going to fall apart. I also had just replaced u joint I bet you did the same thing I think they balance them at factory and put it at the right point. Good luck post what works. Racin Jason
Old 06-05-2009, 06:52 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Makes no difference what way the drive shaft goes same thing.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:22 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Alright I have been thinking could the fact that the tubes aren't welded on my transmission cross member cause this because i don't think i had this vibration before i installed the cross member. Also does anyone know what size bolts fit through the bushing because i was unable to get one side tight i think it is stripped or something.

Quick Reply: High speed vibration